Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Squeeze light
You may want to rephrase this one for a more generic and well understood term. I suggest the terms "keychain LED light" or "keychain size LED light".
Point well taken. Change made as highlighted above.

For me, limiting myself to an arbitrary "X number of essentials" is limiting and really not helpful at all. But to nail the point home when educating people, those "essential" lists are very good, I think.
I agree. Arbitrary limits aren't helpful in life or survival. My exercise is about teaching and informing. Hopefully a concise, limited list will be less intimidating and more likely to be accepted by someone not well acquainted with the idea of preparedness.

Another way to drive the point home is to break down into these 4 questions:
  • 1) Can you get enough to drink, even if forced to stay out for a night or two?
  • 2) Can you protect yourself from the environment, i.e. being too hot, too hot, wet or eaten by bugs, even if forced to stay outside for a night or two?
  • 3) Can you find your way home?
  • 4) Failing that, will someone be able to find YOU?
1) Obviously covers the water procurement/treatment debate.
2) Covers shelter, clothing and bug gear.
3) Covers navigation and light.
4) Covers leaving a game plane with a responsible party and some means of signaling (whistle, light, bright colored gear and clothing).
Excellent. Whatever list we bring, and whatever strategy we intend to employ should be tested by questions like those above or by actual scenarios as suggested by Cliff in the original thread.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Yeah, pretty much everyone is on me for that one.
HJ
In Scandinavia, I drink water pretty much everywhere away from too much urbanization, industry and agriculture, and consider myself lucky that I might do so. I put the into the "locale dependent" part of priorities.
Same here. The water in the mountains of western North America is very clean. Studies I've read indicate that it's actually cleaner than most municipal water supplies. If one uses common sense (don't drink water downstream from livestock for example), the chances of contracting a waterborne illness are very low. Even if one were to come into contact with such pathogens, one normally will show no symptoms unless the concentrations of said pathogens are high. Of those who do contract an illness, the symptoms typically are minor and pass on their own. It is a very small percent of people who contract a waterborne illness in the mountains of western N. America who display the pronounced symptoms that grab everyone's attention.

HJ