Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
This list is a series of three groups of ten items each, the first ten being the classic Ten Essentials developed by the Mountaineers of Seattle Washington.

**The 10 Essentials**
- Extra food & water
- Extra clothing

**Additional Essentials**
- Important Meds (3 day supply) -- Perscriptions, Antihistimines, Immodium, Anti-Inflamatory, etc.
- Whistle
- Signal Mirror
- Shelter (e.g. space blanket, space blanket bivvy sack, tube tent, etc.)

**Strongly Recommended**
* Multitool or SAK
- 55 gal trash can liners (3) -- Can be used as a pack cover when in camp, ground sheet for shelter, pack liner, etc.
- Needle & thread
- Strong Nylon Cord -- Parachute "550" cord (Mil Spec) is an excellent choice
- Water purification means

Your insights and experiences are welcome.
HJ

I've never quite understood the language used in the original 10 essentials. "Extra" food and water? What happened to just "food and water"? And really, you don't need food in the 10 essentials but I would move that down to the second or even the third group because you can survive many days without food and consuming food without enough water only dehydrates you more. A few tidbits like hard candy however can be a pyschological boost.

IMHO - things like the whistle, signal mirror, shelter, cordage -- all belong in the top 10 essentials. Some people use a space blanket as the shelter, I prefer to take a ultralite tarp and use things like space blankets and gargbage bags as alternative shelters not primary means. Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Needle & thread are part of my survival kit, it is so small and light that it is worth carrying all the time. Whereas the fishing kit is only included because it is small/light and part of the original package. Otherwise, it would rank much lower on my priority list.

The meds are an add on to the 10 essentials but because of their small size and weight, I include a number of meds in my FAK including things like Benadryl. This really came in handy last week after I was devoured by mosquitoes in Yellowknife last week.

Otherwise your top 30 is right on. During my fishing trip last week I took my essentials which also included things like rain pants, toque, and gloves - which fall under the heading of extra clothing. Everyone else in the group was stunned that I carried these goodies but were glad when I was the first out with the "fire"! Being properly eqipped in my mind was a bit of overkill in their mind.