Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#204289 - 07/04/10 09:35 PM The real Betsy Ross
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I had always suspected that the Betsy Ross story presented in school was a bit too quaint, too sweet, to be true. Come to find out my pre-teen estimate was truer than not. What can I say; I was a cynical coot with a keen eye for self-serving bull at a very young age.

Sew Tough - The real Betsy Ross was a hard-nosed, snuff-loving businesswoman.
By Ruth Graham:
http://www.slate.com/id/2259351

If anything this, to my eye, makes Betsy Ross seem more human, possibly more American. A woman who went through husbands. Who wasn't a stereotypical demurring woman who was content to stay in the background and spoon feed the men around her. It makes me like her more.

#204345 - 07/06/10 07:57 PM Re: The real Betsy Ross [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just today I received one of those distorted chain emails regarding what happened to the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and went to Snopes to see what they had to say about it. (Yes, I know it's not gospel)

The part that I liked/irritated me most was this:

Author Joseph J. Ellis [received the Pulitzer Prize for History in 2001 for Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation] noted they [Thomas Jefferson and John Adams] … were keenly aware of the "distinction between history as experienced and history as remembered":

“Adams realized that the act of transforming the American Revolution into history placed a premium on selecting events and heroes that fit neatly into a dramatic formula, thereby distorting the more tangled and incoherent experience that participants actually making the history felt at the time. Jefferson's drafting of the Declaration of Independence was a perfect example of such dramatic distortions. The Revolution in this romantic rendering became one magical moment of inspiration, leading inexorably to the foregone conclusion of American independence.”

Barbara Mikkelson: “So great is our need for simplified, dramatic events and heroes that even the real-life biographies of the fifty-six men who risked their lives to publicly declare American independence are no longer compelling enough. Through multiple versions of pieces like the one quoted above, their lives have been repeatedly embellished with layers of fanciful fiction to make for a better story.”
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

Sue

#204348 - 07/06/10 11:06 PM Re: The real Betsy Ross [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

History is a mix of legend, distortions told by either side but usually favoring the powerful, if not the victor, and a representation of actual events by those who observed them.

A fine exploration of this can be seen in the classic film
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962) and the quote:

Ransom Stoddard: You're not going to use the story, Mr. Scott?
Maxwell Scott: No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Above from:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/quotes

There are always many perspectives. One man's patriotic rebel is another person's terrorist. That said not all perspectives are equally and objectively true, and worse still, not all assertions are representations of actual perspectives. People often say and write things for reasons of propaganda and sophistry where the point isn't to state historic facts but to present a mind play in an attempt to shift the perspective of the intended audience.

The more accurate perspective is not always the most commonly presented one and it may not be, for various reasons, the one might want to present.

The "Boston tea Party" was blow for freedom against tyranny. But it was also a temper tantrum by smugglers of tea, Hamilton and others, who resented that the stamp tax would open the market for less expensive English tea that would undercut the profits made off smuggling.

On the one hand the founding fathers were fighting the English aristocracy and class system and, according to their rhetoric, standing for the 'common man'. On the other the founding fathers were almost all wealthy businessmen, landholders, and slave owners who had little interest in common men as anything but pawns in a power struggle to create their own continental aristocracy who would rule over what they saw as lesser men.

#204352 - 07/07/10 12:09 AM Re: The real Betsy Ross [Re: Art_in_FL]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
There's some truth to that, Art. But when one man was offered the chance literally to be aristocracy, he turned it out. There was a lot of desire to make George Washington king of the new nation. But taking one King George off the throne only to set another one upon it didn't sit well with him.

#204401 - 07/08/10 02:57 AM Re: The real Betsy Ross [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
well no matter what we think it must have been a "Lord Of The Flys" moment for them.the plane crashed the grown ups are dead,what do we do now?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 439 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.