Taking a step back and seeing the big picture is essential in navigation. Does what my compass/map/GPS is telling me make sense in the context of where I am and what the actual terrain is like? Everyone makes technical navigational errors. Your mind and "common sense" are your double check that keep you from doing something really stupid based on your error.

Your wife can't figure out things from a map? laugh She's probably my wife's sister. wink

Yeah, that's tough if you can't visualize terrain. I guess you're really dependent on good map skills if you can't terrain associate. eek

Common sense thinking skills seem to be something from the past, don't they? Sigh. I much prefer dealing with older cops. Older cops, many of them, will actually talk to you and will give you a warning if something is no big deal and not causing any real harm. Younger cops, at least in my experience, are more by the book and just write you up even if there's no real problem. They seem to lack judgment. As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, "there's no substitute for good judgment."

HJ