The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#204283 - 07/04/10 06:00 PM my kind of guy
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJjYnzZSZo

at 1:09 Murdock displays the sort of lateral thinking we like!

The Sock

#204293 - 07/04/10 11:00 PM Re: my kind of guy [Re: TheSock]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think I prefer my gross distortions of physics and probability in cartoon form.

The original A-team, for those old enough to remember, was entirely formulaic; an improbable setup that led to a chase, gun play where very few people get shot, explosions from objects that rarely explode in real life, and the inevitable happy ending. Body counts were improbably low, and generally only bad guys got hurt. The ability of the team to walk unscathed through danger was downright miraculous. The impression was of a gang that was less technically competent and tactically virtuous than preternaturally lucky.

This updated version seems to have taken the faults of the original to a whole new level. Live action actors operating in a cartoon, CGI, reality free, universe where every toss of the dice goes their way to the point that the laws of physics seem to be entirely inapplicable.

I think I will avoid this film. At least until it hits the discount bin at something less than $5. It might be an appropriate movie for viewing while exercising. Brainless action goes over better when spinning and pounding weights. Worse case I get a CD case and a shaving mirror out of the deal.

#204298 - 07/05/10 04:02 AM Re: my kind of guy [Re: Art_in_FL]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Yeah reviews have been poor. I just liked that incident.
The original A team was a hoot. the body count was nil; if even the baddies car crashed; we saw them all get out alive. It was screened early evening here in the UK so aimed at kiddies I think.

You might as well throw the idiot box away if you don't like formulaic though. Why does every cop have a perfect detection record, but his boss hates him? And they are all geniuses, but stupid enough to fall for the main suspect in a murder.
And has no one in CSI NY ever thought to go up and grab someone when they arrest them; instead of shouting it across a crowded market place so there can be a chase?
The Sock

#204302 - 07/05/10 08:10 AM Re: my kind of guy [Re: TheSock]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
As a student (with somewhat different partying habbits than today) I invented the term "Sunday movie" for this kind of films. They were EXACTLY the right thing to watch during the later stages of a hangover.

There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of clueless entertainment. I won't try very hard to watch this film, but if the occation arrises I'll leave my sense of reality at home and then I'm sure I'll enjoy this film for what it is.

@The Sock - I really dig that TimeShare-comment smile

Edited by MostlyHarmless (07/05/10 08:15 AM)

#204305 - 07/05/10 11:41 AM Re: my kind of guy [Re: MostlyHarmless]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Yeah face looked promising too :-)

The Sock

#204306 - 07/05/10 12:23 PM Re: my kind of guy [Re: TheSock]
ajax Offline

This movie was ridiculous, idiotic, and completely over the top....I loved every second of it.

To me, it's the perfect movie representation of the tv show. All the same gimmicks are there...the Rube-Goldberg solutions to problems, BA's mohawk, Murdock's insanity, the van...all of it just amplified to the nth degree. Every character in the movie, not just the team, is a caricature. They're all a bit ridiculous.

So I would say, if you liked the tv show then you will like the movie. It's nice to turn your brain off and watch big explosions.

If you like to nitpick military regs and physics then forget
it, don't bother...

Edited by ajax (07/05/10 12:38 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 562 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.