Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#203971 - 06/26/10 10:25 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Teslinhiker]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
and in this case, there were no hunters and the man suddenly became the hunted...

If it walks like a hunter and stalks like a hunter, its a hunter

#203979 - 06/27/10 02:44 AM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
and in this case, there were no hunters and the man suddenly became the hunted...

If it walks like a hunter and stalks like a hunter, its a hunter

Semantics...

John Lubbock

#203982 - 06/27/10 02:28 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've decided that I was unnecessarily grumpy in my last post. The guy was taking a calculated risk, sure, but had taken steps to manage that risk. That's all I would ask of anybody.

I'm going to the mountains in a few days, walking solo in bear country. Just as I have done for the last quarter century.

I will walk with great awareness, I will watch for sign, I will make noise where visibility is limited, and I will keep a meticulously clean camp. Standard operating procedure. I will give myself permission to change routes or turn around if something doesn't feel right. I will leave word of my plans. I will also have a fresh cannister of bear spray ready for immediate use, just in case.

Some people might perceive this as a risky business. But I don't. I will manage as much of the risk as I can, make some allowance for surprises, and go. The game is worth the candle; I know I will be much more "alive" on the trail than I could ever be at the mall.

It reminds me of a quote from Colin Fletcher:
"But you know, if you stop to think, that at any moment, just when you least expect it, a lily or a thunderstorm or a moose, or just more sunlight slanting through different junipers, will tingle you into goose pimples. Or a rockface or river, a snake or sudden snowstorm will up and scare the arse off you -- to the immense benefit of your little universe."

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/27/10 02:30 PM)

#203984 - 06/27/10 04:07 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
On every gun site I've visited, people concur that a Grizzly wouldn't even hear a warning shot and that a warning shot would just tick off a Grizzly. I need to start taking online forums with a grain of salt. This Grizzly was clearly ticked. Further, the Grizzly appeared to be protecting a cub and territory. That's the perfect storm. Perhaps if the man had shot the bear, then the Grizzly would have gotten even more ticked. How many people can say they've been charged by a Grizzly? To date, here's the only person I've seen with proof.

#203985 - 06/27/10 04:26 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
On the one hand, the guy is said to have extensive experience filming bears. I assume the local fuzz and fish&game guys know him well, since he's allowed to pack a handgun; pretty rare up here. Kinda surprised that a small firearm was his choice; a 12-gauge is pretty much the minimum from what I've been told. Also very surprised at a small firearm instead of bear spray; many hunters have been blindsided by charging grizzlies and have been killed with a live round in the chamber.

I did not read anywhere that said "small firearm". I did see "handgun" though. There are some pretty monster handguns that would not be classified as small firearms. A handgun may have been more practical for him if he was lugging lots of other equipment.

I don't know about you, but I'm not qualified to criticize this guy's tactics. This guy regularly films bears, and he's still alive, enough said. Sometimes theory must take a backseat to experience. I'd prefer to take advice from the guy in the video, rather than masters of theory on the Internet. I mean no offense to you personally because you may very well have experience with a Grizzly charging you.

#203987 - 06/27/10 05:15 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: ireckon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Ireckon, would you go hunting grizzly with a handgun of ANY size?

Sue

#203988 - 06/27/10 05:16 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: ireckon]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
What got me was how the bear seemed to run around a lot instead of directly at him.

#203990 - 06/27/10 05:47 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: chickenlittle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chickenlittle
What got me was how the bear seemed to run around a lot instead of directly at him.

As I said in a previous post, the bear had the scent but probably could not fully determine where the man was which accounts for the bear not running in a straight line. Had the bear charged in a straight line, we could of been reading a totally different news story. If you have never actually seen in real life, a bear in the midst of a full speed run, it is very difficult to comprehend how fast they really are.

John Lubbock

#203991 - 06/27/10 05:52 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
Ireckon, would you go hunting grizzly with a handgun of ANY size?

Sue

Many hunting/fishing/outdoors guides and bush pilots up here in northern BC carry 45-70 caliber rifles for backup big bear protection. At close range (when you need it the most) these rifles will drop any bear.

That said, there are hunters in Alaska who hunt with big caliber handguns...Not something I would want to take a chance at though.

John Lubbock

#203992 - 06/27/10 05:56 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

I'm going to the mountains in a few days, walking solo in bear country. Just as I have done for the last quarter century.

I will walk with great awareness, I will watch for sign, I will make noise where visibility is limited, and I will keep a meticulously clean camp. Standard operating procedure. I will give myself permission to change routes or turn around if something doesn't feel right. I will leave word of my plans. I will also have a fresh cannister of bear spray ready for immediate use, just in case.

Some people might perceive this as a risky business. But I don't. I will manage as much of the risk as I can, make some allowance for surprises, and go. The game is worth the candle; I know I will be much more "alive" on the trail than I could ever be at the mall.

Sounds like you have all proper precautions in place for a great time in the mountains. I take it you are either going to be in the Alberta or BC Rockies?

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 721 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.