The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#203736 - 06/21/10 01:38 PM Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Short Video along with some details showing a grizzly charge in northen BC Canada. (The video link is in the top right corner on the page)

A B.C. filmmaker says he's lucky to be alive after narrowly avoiding a grizzly attack while filming in the Robson Valley, southeast of Prince George.
Leon Lorenz, who lives in Dunster, B.C., was filming grizzly bears in a nearby valley last Monday evening when he spotted a bear and her cub.
Lorenz said he took cover behind a spruce tree so he could film the bears without disturbing them, but the mother bear picked up his scent.
She turned suddenly, he said, and looked him right in the eyes. Then, roaring, she charged through the trees right at Lorenz. He recalls thinking, "This is for real. This is … no bluff charge."

John Lubbock

#203740 - 06/21/10 02:04 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Lordy.

Re-load.

Change underwear.

Thank God.

Great (and unusually high resolution) video, thanks for the link.

#203755 - 06/21/10 04:17 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"She turned suddenly, he said, and looked him right in the eyes."

I have always been told not to look/stare predators in the eye, they see it as a threat. Maybe it's true.

Sue

#203791 - 06/22/10 01:30 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Susan]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Man, that sure didn't look like a bluff charge.

If you don't want to carry a real gun in the woods, maybe a starter pistol would be a good idea?

#203800 - 06/22/10 06:44 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Compugeek]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're going into the real woods, you'd best take a real gun, esp if you're looking for grizzlies... you might find some.

Sue

#203823 - 06/23/10 12:19 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Susan]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
When I try to play it I get about 5 seconds of the backside of a bear, a 15 second McDonalds comemrcial, and then a blank screen with a lot of heavy breathing and one shot near the end.

Bob

#203834 - 06/23/10 03:11 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: ILBob]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Bob,

If you search on youtube using "Grizzly charge" you should find it. I can't try it out here at work due to massive firewalls and filters, but I saw it there last night at home.

Its pretty disturbing. I could only hope I'd have the presence of mind to fire off a round.

Thank goodness the bear's reaction to the gun was so sudden and quick. I would have thought just inertia would have brought the two into contact. Sheesh!

#203916 - 06/25/10 02:12 AM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I dunno, this story bugs me. Maybe I'm all wet, but somehow it feels wrong. So pardon me while I rant.

On the one hand, the guy is said to have extensive experience filming bears. I assume the local fuzz and fish&game guys know him well, since he's allowed to pack a handgun; pretty rare up here. Kinda surprised that a small firearm was his choice; a 12-gauge is pretty much the minimum from what I've been told. Also very surprised at a small firearm instead of bear spray; many hunters have been blindsided by charging grizzlies and have been killed with a live round in the chamber.

On the other hand, reality check, this guy was essentially STALKING a female grizzly with a cub? Was so busy getting the big shot that he got upwind of a female grizzly with a cub? And then went to the press looking for sympathy/publicity/whatever instead of hanging his head in embarrassment and lying very low? Really?

End of rant.

Glad the mama bear is okay (and so the cub has a chance of survival). Surprised the guy is alive, but I'm okay with that too.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/25/10 02:13 AM)

#203922 - 06/25/10 04:06 AM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Doug:

The man was interviewed on the local news a day or 2 after the video was shown. He seemed to know his stuff and has a good 20 year track record in filming wildlife.

From my own personal experience in observing more bears that I can remember over the years (and I am not a bear expert by any means), bears will see/scent a human and either run off, stop and or move closer for a look (remember a bear's eyesight is poor compared to most mammals) or charge as what occured here. I have never been charged by a bear, yet I have had one walk by me less then 20 feet away and completely ignore me...granted it was not a female with a cub either.

When you watch that video clip, you see the bear charging, however she is not going in a straight line which possibly means that although she had a good scent whiff of the man, mama dd not at first have an exact sense of where the man was filming from. Also see the look of bewilderment on the cub's face...knows something was wrong but just could not quite figure it out and decided to stay close to it's mother.

In regards to the scent, it is certainly possible the breeze/wind shifted down toward the bears. As any hunter will tell you, this happens very easily and in this case, there were no hunters and the man suddenly became the hunted...

As for the choice of firearms, yes some people can and are allowed to carry a sidearm here in Canada. I can see where carrying a rifle, video cameras/equipment and other supplies can be a chore. Having a sidearm instead of a rifle makes sense in this case. If I had the choice, I would rather carry a sidearm then a rifle....mind you, while out hiking, I only carrying Bear Spray and never had the need to even consider using it yet. it's all about perspective and the risk factor I guess. If I get eaten by bear...sure beats getting taken out by a bus flattening me or any of the other usual and mundane ways to die...but thats just me.

John Lubbock

#203930 - 06/25/10 02:23 PM Re: Grizzly charge captured by B.C. filmmaker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Ran into this Mama Black Bear and cubs last month at camp, at 6:30a and in route to the bathroom. Fortunately I had not yet had coffee. She lingered for a couple of hours and it was something to see as she looked for food and ate what we believe was a newborn fawn (kept a wide berth of that meal). Can only imagine that a Mama Grizzly's proximity and attention would be orders of magnitude more memorable.

Attachments
DSC_9790.JPG

DSC_9166.JPG

DSC_9185.JPG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 626 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.