Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
The sale of Switchblades to the general public is illegal in NY. The knives they are calling switchblades are not switchblades, they are assisted-opening knives and that is what we got passed last summer to clear up any question, at least at the federal level. In any case, they do not meet the definition of a switchblade, even using NY's standard definition. As for switchblades in general, Knife Rights is supportive of efforts to eliminate restrictions on switchblades, as you can see from our successful efforts in NH which removed such restrictions.

The law is outrageous. I am all for states rights, but I am not sure states should be able to make laws reducing liberty. I see laws against certain knives as about the same as seat-belt laws and helmet laws. It is already a crime to assault someone so specific tools do not need regulation.

That being said, NY has its own definition of a switchblade. As you said, it does not match the federal definition. In Massachusetts, a Firearm is defined to mean a handgun. In MA, a rifle is not a firearm! Go figure. States have their own definitions of things. They are allowed to though.

While this law should be overturned and certainly not enforced, I think I am going to disagree the knives in question don't meet the NY definition of switchblade.

Here is the law:

Quote:
- Section 265.00 Definitions...
4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife
which has a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife.

5. "Gravity knife" means any
knife has blade which is released from the handle or
sheath thereof by the force of gravity of the application
of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in
place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other
device.

An assisted opening torsion knife does have a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a device or spring in the handle of the knife. When you push the tab on the blade (which I agree is not a button), you apply hand pressure to the spring. And a blade might even qualify as a device.

Also, most locking pocket knives meet their definition of a gravity knife.