Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#203549 - 06/17/10 04:53 AM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: MDinana]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Grind some Uncle Bens in a blender for 10 seconds,&Voila!Instant Pudding Rice!& Don't forget about Tapioca,or Corn Mush,a little goes a Long way!

#203592 - 06/18/10 03:38 AM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: MDinana]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I can't cook worth a damn."

Nobody was born knowing how to cook. You can learn. Get a good basic cookbook like The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book, or the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Follow the directions EXACTLY, at least the first time. Then practice.

How's this for difficult: Roasted Chicken. Get a 4-lb chicken. Take it out of the bag, remove the stuff from the body cavity and give it to the dog (raw chicken necks are fine), wash the chicken in cold water (no soap), pat dry with a paper towel, put in a pan with sides (not a cookie sheet), and stick it in the oven for two hours. Remove and eat. Does that sound hard to you?

Check your local health food stores or Kroger/Fred Meyer bulk food bins for whole grains. If that doesn't work, go to Bob's Red Mill for whole grains (including oat groats), flours, meals and cereals or Frontier Foods Co-op and see if anything strikes your fancy. If your local health food store carries anything from Frontier Foods, they will usually order special stuff for you and you don't have to pay shipping (and often get the bulk price, too).

And... ahem... if you can't cook, you aren't prepared.

Wouldn't it be awful, the day after the Big One, if the Pasta Fairy got into your stock of food and stole all your canned spaghetti, lasagna, vienna sausage, corned beef hash and Dinty Moore beef stew and replaced it with pasta and whole grains? What would you do, run crying down the street, crying for a cook?

I'll even tell you a secret...

Learn to cook adequately, but learn a few things REALLY well (make it easy, pick things you like), and offer to provide those things for potlucks. I'm an okay cook, but I can make a great gravy, a wonderful chicken/cheese/picante casserole, the best guacamole, really good chocolate chip cookies, and KILLER cheesecakes, and everyone thinks I'm a fantastic cook. Actually, for work, I've never had to get past the cheesecakes. Co-workers sidle up to me and whisper, "Are you bringing the chocolate walnut cheesecake, or the pineapple-coconut one, or the lavender one?"

Sue

#203593 - 06/18/10 07:00 AM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan

Learn to cook adequately, but learn a few things REALLY well (make it easy, pick things you like), and offer to provide those things for potlucks. Sue

Excellent advice. I now make excellent black beans and brown rice (with mushrooms, etc.) after making it regularly. Same for broiled salmon. Just stuff I love to eat. Next step is learning to cook what I like with a camp stove. Cooking it well, that is.

#203598 - 06/18/10 11:43 AM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: LED]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I bake most of our bread. Sams club is now carrying whole wheat flour, which helps. I have perfected a recipe for a weight watchers one point biscuit that has become known in our house as a 'meadow muffin' because of its similarity in appearance , (and likely, nutritional content and taste) to a horse turd. We also seem to be eating a lot of oats. Haven't lost much weight, but having a lot of fun whinnying and cantering about the paddock...

#203599 - 06/18/10 12:35 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Ronald McDonald reminds you of John Wayne Gacy? Well that's about the creepiest thing I've ever heard. LOL

#203602 - 06/18/10 12:44 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Nicodemus]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Regarding the idea of preparedness, cooking for yourself, and so on...

Does anyone know where I can find information on the shelf life of spices or how to store them long term? I've got hundreds of pounds of stored dried beans and grains, but they're really not much in the taste department without some good spices. Possum fat and squirrel meat can only do so much. LOL

The information would be appreciated.

#203618 - 06/18/10 10:56 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Susan

How's this for difficult: Roasted Chicken. Get a 4-lb chicken. Take it out of the bag, remove the stuff from the body cavity and give it to the dog (raw chicken necks are fine), wash the chicken in cold water (no soap), pat dry with a paper towel, put in a pan with sides (not a cookie sheet), and stick it in the oven for two hours. Remove and eat. Does that sound hard to you?

I followed your instructions exactly and the chicken was cold. I put it in for two more hours.......still cold smile smile smile

#203619 - 06/18/10 11:12 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
But I bet the dog was happy.

#203620 - 06/18/10 11:26 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Nicodemus]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Regarding the idea of preparedness, cooking for yourself, and so on...

Does anyone know where I can find information on the shelf life of spices or how to store them long term? I've got hundreds of pounds of stored dried beans and grains, but they're really not much in the taste department without some good spices. Possum fat and squirrel meat can only do so much. LOL

The information would be appreciated.

McCormick Canada is the largest Spice, Dry Sauce & Seasoning, Extract, and Specialty foods operation in Canada and here is their advice.
Quote:
Do spices and herbs spoil?

Spices and herbs do not spoil, but they do lose their strength. Old seasonings will not flavour your meals the way they are intended to.

What is the shelf life of spices and herbs?

The shelf life of properly stored spices and herbs is approximately 3-4 years for whole spices and seeds, 2-3 years for ground spices, 1-3 years for leafy herbs, and 1-2 years for seasoning blends.

For more information please visit our School House Section.

Can I freeze spices and herbs?

Spices and herbs should not be stored in the freezer. Freezing does not extend the shelf life of regularly used dried spices and herbs. If stored in the freezer and repeatedly removed for use, the bottles may develop condensation, which can accelerate loss of flavour and aroma.

How can I preserve the flavour and quality of my spices and herbs?

Replace the lid on bottles right after use. Measure seasonings in a bowl and then add seasonings to the pot. Do not sprinkle spices and herbs directly from the bottle over a steaming pot. Steam introduced into a bottle will hasten the loss of flavour and aroma. Steam will also result in caking. Make sure the measuring spoon is completely dry when you dip it into the spice bottle. The added moisture may cause caking or flavour loss.

Also from them

Quote:
How fresh are your spices?

Check for these signs:

All recent Club House packaging reflects the current Club House logo (house with green leaves) as is shown throughout our site.
If your Club House spice bottle is glass, the spice is over 15 years old
If your Club House spice has a yellow cap and label, it is over 4 years old
If your Club House pepper has a white/cream cap, it is over 4 years old
If your Club House tin is larger than 2" tall (excluding ground black pepper), it is over 8 years old
If your Club House product does not have the Club House logo with a red and orange wave in the upper left corner, it is over 4 years old.
Product Expiry Guidelines

Your Club House products will deliver the best flavour if used within these guidelines.

Ground spices - 2 to 3 years
Whole spices - 4 years
Herbs: 1-3 years
Sesame Seeds & Poppy Seeds – 2 years
All other Seeds – 4 years
Spice Blends: 1-2 years
Pure vanilla extract: unlimited shelf life
All other pure and artificial extracts: 4 years
Gravy Mixes: 1-2 years
Seasoning Mixes/Packets: 1-2 years
Batters & Flours: 1-2 years
Wet marinades & sauces: 1-2 years

#203629 - 06/19/10 03:59 AM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I followed your instructions exactly and the chicken was cold. I put it in for two more hours.......still cold"

We REALLY need a shaking head/rolly eyes smiley face...

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.