The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202289 - 05/22/10 03:58 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: Rodion]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have a similiar watch and I always use a pair of broken plastic dial calipers to renove the back on mine. I have never had it scratch and it lets me get to know my watch better.

#202292 - 05/22/10 05:05 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: sybert777]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Based on your price range of $800, you might end up spending more than necessary just to have more style and bragging rights. There is nothing wrong with that.

However, with modern technology, all of the functionality and ruggedness that I'll ever want can be had for less than $200. Here's my favorite watch and the one I recommend on a website like this:

G-Shock MTG900DA (about $90)

I have other watches that are more expensive. However, this watch is on my wrist 99% of the time, sets the time for all other clocks in my life, and is more rugged than any other watch I have. Two features set this watch apart from other watches I have: automatic atomic time and solar recharged battery. I never have to touch a button on this watch if all you want is the time. I've had this watch for about a year and wear it practically all the time, even during a sweaty workout, and it still looks brand new. Perhaps the best thing is that, when this watch has seen better days, I'll just replace it with another one because it's so inexpensive. I won't be taking ANY trips to the jeweler with this watch.

#202297 - 05/22/10 08:48 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: ireckon]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Second the Casio. Except the model I have, the 3366, has hands, even easier to read. Solar/atomic, no battery/no changing the time. Only thing is to chage to DST on the appropriate day. I leave mine in the window overnight once a week (if I remember) to doublecheck the time. As mine has a plastic/rubber watchband, it was about $110 at Wally world.

Super simple to use, super cheap to own, no maintenance, no batteries.

#202320 - 05/23/10 11:00 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: ]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
sorry to steal the thread, but can anyone testify to Omega watches? i think the speedmaster is gorgeous; got everything you could really need in a watch but still has wonderfully understated style. timepiece of choice for the space program seems like a positive vote as well.

Edited by Erik_B (05/23/10 11:01 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#202328 - 05/23/10 06:09 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: Erik_B]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
The truly sad fact is, outside of a wrist mounted sundial, there is no watch I have yet found that is guaranteed to last through your lifetime and become an heirloom.
I have a Seiko 7N43-6111 that has lasted over eight years on the battery in it, but it still needs a battery on occasion. It seems to handle water just fine. I have dived all the islands in Hawaii as well as multiple swimming pools, lakes and water-skiing trips with no ill effect. It was a giveaway when I completed 15 years of employment with a previous employer.
It holds the record for longest life of any watch on my wrist. But to be fair, I no longer do any technical rope work, nor do I shoot magnum handguns or otherwise expose it to extraordinary shock forces.
Luminescence is marginal, it's probably good for about twenty minutes after light exposure. The date is impossible to read with my 50 year old eyes without the benefit of my cheaters. But it's still a pretty decent looking watch and I can wear it with a suit or shorts.

Edited by Tarzan (05/23/10 06:10 PM)
Edit Reason: can't spell

#202336 - 05/23/10 08:29 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: LRSRDOC]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about the Luminox 3604

Nice watch but it seems to live in a bottom draw with along with a 130 year old heirloom, since It was acquired about 2 years ago (never got around to get the the watch strap adjusted).

Otherwise a lightweight Citizen Ecodrive Titanium BM8290-05E is usually worn for casual use.

The Zenith Men's 96.0529.4035/51.M Defy Xtreme Tourbillon Titanium Chronograph Watch on Amazon Amazon gets mixed reviews though, despite the price, although the $57,290 of the RRP is sure to make it a bargain for someone, despite the fact that it probably won't be as accurate as the Citizen Eco-Drive for $140 wink

The watch also appears to be a little tricky to tell the time as well. whistle

#202343 - 05/23/10 10:03 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Boy Sieko sure comes up a lot. My dad has worn the same Sieko for 30 years. I'd like it someday ad an hierloom.

#202348 - 05/23/10 11:00 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Watches? What watches? We don' need no steenkin' watches. If I want to know what the time really is, I just look at my GPS. The time displayed there is insanely accurate.

Of course, I don't always have my GPS working, so I do have a cheap Casio ($50 or so) on my wrist. It has a very decent compass as a backup, as well.

Someday I imagine the marketers will bling up the GPS receivers, so that one can purchase a diamond encrusted titanium model- just what an anxiously awaiting world needs.

#202356 - 05/24/10 08:43 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: hikermor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Cell phones have perfectly good clocks. Watches are mostly fashion & jewelry. People saying something about themselves - which is why mine has a slide-rule. cool

The main problem I have with a $$$ watch is that it goes wherever my wrist goes, and that's not an easy life. Wrist-bands have never lasted long, although this Citizen has held up thus far.

#202361 - 05/24/10 11:13 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
My probelm is that I usually end up abusing the heck out of mine too. I have gone through a lot of watches-my favorite was my Suunto Vector, which didnt survive my last deployment in 04. That being said, I am a big fan of simple Timex watches. I have a nice dress watch I paid $50 for, the watch is grey metal, and has an analog face. I also use a Timex Expedition watch of some sort for field use-I paid $30 for. The upside is, if either of them get trashed, I am OK with it. I can replace a $50 watch a LOT easier than a $300 watch. Ultimately, I need it to tell time. The date is nice too. Other than that, I dont really need a watch to do anything else. So, I dont want to pay for all those gizmos.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 295 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.