Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202243 - 05/21/10 07:49 PM Which Watch to Buy??
LRSRDOC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ga.
Looking for my last my lifetime watch. But I need advice on what to buy. My sight is not what it use to be so thinking of something with the date cyclops and luminus, looking to spend around $800.

#202246 - 05/21/10 08:21 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: LRSRDOC]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Check out some of the Invicta Russian Diver watches. Far less than $800 and about 50-52mm across. Sam's Club may have one their quartz versions.

Standard Disclaimer.

My $.02

#202250 - 05/21/10 09:06 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: MoBOB]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well lifetime last watch is sort of a tough push. The best luminuswatches IMHO is Luminox brand. But they have a decade half life. I can vouch for that. Citizen Eco drivers are good. I have that one too. It's powered by light. But like all luminuswatches YMMV on how long the hand brightness lasts in darkness, couple hours, vs all night. Timex ironmans are great decade lasting digitals with large faces but are not $800 watches. Great electroluminesence. Status watch like tag, rolex, invicta, et al seem to have great longevity but I think ur losing night viewing.

I'm always looking for a new watch. Interested in what others say.

#202258 - 05/21/10 11:38 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: LRSRDOC]
widget Offline
Addict

Here you go, I have a couple of these and they are an excellent value. With the Euro right now, they will be about $440 shipped.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=2&Sel_ID=9#2

#202259 - 05/21/10 11:43 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: ]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have an old Wenger Military watch given to me by my grandpa, I am really impressed with the luminosity! all except the numbers stay lit up when I get up. I recently broke it and havent got to repair it yet, I really want to have it back, back working!

#202261 - 05/22/10 12:06 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: ]
timo Offline

If I were going to spend that amount of money I would seriously consider a MKII watch.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/Home.jsp

MKII's are essentially custom made to your order using very high quality parts, including swiss ETA automatic movements. You basically choose a case style first, then you can choose the face (dial), bezel insert and even the hands.

Automatics will never, EVER need a battery of any kind, although you will need to wear them to wind them and it's recommended that you service the movement every few years with a competent watch maker.

Also, I don't see a date cyclops option and the lume won't compare to an "illuminating" watch. On the other hand I can't think of a mass produced watch of any kind or type, under $500 meeting my criteria for a "lifetime" watch.

Vintage Rolex Submariners are very nice but prices are creeping up now.
There is also the Seiko SKX007 Diver series...far below your price limit but extremely durable and long lasting. Not to mention the classic styling.

I could go on and on about the Seiko SKX007 if you're interested...

You can tell by now my bias is towards analog automatic, dive-style watches with high legibility and legitimate waterproofness. Basically I got sick and tired of replacing batteries in a long string of digital and quartz analogs. The only one that ever lasted was an original Casio G-Shock DW-5600. But I can't wear that with a suit and tie...

Frankly, I'm saving up for a MKII LLRP with the intention of passing it on to my son after many years of enjoyment on my own wrist!

Check them out, you might find something right up your alley.

#202270 - 05/22/10 02:11 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: timo]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Anyone know about the maratac watches over at County Comm? They seem nice, a bit pricey, but I wonder at their durability.

#202271 - 05/22/10 02:28 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
. . .You can get older model Stainless Steel "Diver" Rolex's. I have a 1965 Diver and I love it.
Got my Submariner in '84 and when I finally had a jeweler work on it in 2008 the cost of the rebuild was twice what I originally paid for the watch. Beautiful piece, but my Casio G-Shock keeps better time. (Love that website, note that the time displayed on the watch is correct)

#202281 - 05/22/10 09:17 AM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: comms]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: comms

Citizen Eco drivers are good. I have that one too. It's powered by light.

I have one too that keeps time via WWV. Truly zero effort, never needs setting or winding. However, the LCD displays are terrible, both backlit and in all ambient light.

Even for those with good eyes this is not a watch for those who want to read the LCDs (which have date and day-of-week, and something else I can't make out).

#202285 - 05/22/10 01:03 PM Re: Which Watch to Buy?? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Personally, I use the Victorinox Maverick, second edition if I'm not mistaken.

Big, beautiful Arabic numbers, excellent luminous markers and arrows, date cyclops as requested + a 60 min analogue timer. Only down side is the need to replace the battery at service centers, as the seal is watertight. Well, that and the price.

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 334 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.