There are several fairly close in loops that I take especially in the winter with my dogs. I often stop half way and fire up my Snow Peak Giga power stove for a nice hot cup of coffee. Love that new starbucks VIA!!!The stove is very light and for day hikes I take a 4oz fuel canister so not much additional weight for a nice coffee break. However, I use the MSR 4 oz fuel canister as it's wider at the base than the 4 oz. snow peak canister, and thus more stability and only a fraction more weight. Go figure that the snow peak giga stove has more stability than the MSR pocket rocket, but just the opposite in the 4oz. canisters both companies offer.

For me carrying the small amount of additional weight from the stove and canister is well worth the savings in time to actually build a fire, wait for it to get ready to heat water over, and then get it safely extinguished before leaving, when day hiking for a few hours especially in the short winter days---time does become an issue as I'd prefer not to be on dark slick trials after dark.

While I always carry fire making supplies for an unexpected emergency over-nighter, for both time restraints and convenience the small stove always wins. Plus, the PNW, in the summer and fall most areas only allow camp fires in the actual designated fire-pits in the camp areas for safety. They really don't want you building a camp fire for heating food or water in many areas that I hike and actually enforce that rule for good reason. Caution is even urged with stoves.