Originally Posted By: Dagny

You make fires on day hikes?

Absolutely! In the old days, as the shadows lengthened and we realized we would be returning to the car after dark, we would often build a campfire, heat a can of chili, and take a meal break. More recently, it has been easier to break out the canister or alcohol stove for a cup of tea or something warm and filling. I always have the means for making fire when out on any frolic in the woods and fields.

Doing SAR in Arizona, I saw first hand how these little short excursions can lengthen. Probably our mos common scenario involved assistance to someone who had planned to be home by dark.

One extreme case was a young woman who was on a picnic in the mountains and walked away to gather firewood. After looking for about an hour, her companions called for assistance. We started searching just at nightfall. The next morning, after walking down a steep canyon nearly all night in storm conditions, we found her some four miles away, fortunately in fairly good condition.

When we did find the young lady, I immediately worked at starting my stove and preparing something hot, while she changed into some dry clothing I was carrying.

If the only conditions a hiker has experienced involve well marked, well maintained, and heavily traveled trails, the person does not meet my definition of "experienced."

One should be careful about throwing around the "e" word, particularly if one is hiking in a different region. Not all of one's experience in dry southwestern condition will apply to the PNW, for instance. Probably it universal that trips may easily take longer than contemplated - anywhere. One should be capable of spending a night out anytime.

Edited by hikermor (06/11/10 11:02 AM)