Quote:
How many people on ETS actually hike in the mountains?

Here is one of my favourite mountain walks with some areas shown which are quite good for remote camping such as Loch Esk (a good youtube video describing the route from one of my old postgraduate Professors)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw0O_P3l4Bk

What I don't really get about the story is actually the story itself. Twisted ankles and broken legs and folks getting caught out by the weather etc are pretty run of the mill and rarely get reported in the UK except for when large groups of walkers, hikers or mountaineers get killed. There was for example in the video above, where the group were having a tea break before descending into Glen Doll down Jocks road, where half a dozen walkers perished back in 1959 during a mid winter walk.

The media like to exaggerate the dangers of the wilderness for some reason. It makes good copy for the air chair pundits and viewers who can pontificate and smugly say 'what a stupid fellow for going into the wilderness in the first place, there are even bears out there ready to chew your head off, I saw it on the Discovery channel'.

Slipping and falling can happen virtually anywhere (how many folks were killed or seriously injured fixing the suburban household TV antenna for the digital switchover have never been reported). The news media aren't interested in this type of story because it lacks that certain macho 'Bear Grylls' appeal.