Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#20311 - 10/19/03 09:42 AM First Aid Kit additions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not seen it mentioned, but two items I have included in my first aid kits are a finger nail clipper and an eyeglass repair kit.
The finger nail clipper is a God send when needed, a knife just doesn't work on a hangnail and can make matters worse.
A $2 eyeglass repair kit from the drug store, self contained in a plastic tube, has helped others in my party more than once.
They are both small items, inexpensive and perhaps extravagant, but they do come in handy.

#20312 - 10/19/03 09:22 PM Re: First Aid Kit additions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always found carrying a nail clipper a luxery outside a Urban enviroment. When I do notice I should have clipped my nails and haven't got a clipper handy than I use the scissors on my Champ. Works just as well.
Talking about FAK's. In addition to carry a FAK in my rucksack (on hike's) I carry a pocket FAK:
1x triangular bandadge
1x surgical gloves
1x large field dressing (also does the job of a small one)
1x safety pin
1x paper bag

I roll the contents around the field dressing with the tri. bandadge around the outside, close it with a safety pin. Eh presto! I got a very compact Pocket FAK.
I stumbled upon this idea as I went clubbing and felt stupid not carrying any FA gear in a place where so much can and does go wrong.

Anyone can think of any lackings or un - useful items?

#20313 - 10/20/03 05:00 AM Re: First Aid Kit additions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, I agree that they are both good additions. I placed an eyeglass repair kit with my sewing kit. I also carry both finger and toe nail clippers in a pouch with a couple of hemostats (sp) that is in our med. kit.

#20314 - 10/20/03 04:08 PM Re: First Aid Kit additions
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I have a nail clipper in my fishing kit. It found a lot of use in the field altough it was never used for clipping nails. On rare occassions it was even used as power grip tweezers (you have to be careful there) when the regular tweezer couldnīt get enough grip. So if there is enough space for the clipper itīs a good idea to add it to the kit.
With a pocket FAK there are many things lacking for an obvious reason. Iīd add a couple of gauze pads if the still is room for it.

#20315 - 10/20/03 09:29 PM Re: First Aid Kit additions
Anonymous
Unregistered

You bring up another topic of to consider, tweezers. I opted for high quality tweezers for each of my kits. I purchased from Mehaz, a Swiss company, about $18 each, but well worth the money; stainless steel, sharp, pointed. I also added 6 blood lancets, the kind used to test your own blood. They are small, disposable and sterile, ideal for digging out splinters, etc.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 437 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.