The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203147 - 06/09/10 06:41 PM Summer Dog Pack
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

http://www.ruffwear.com/Singletrak-Pack?sc=2&category=13

Does anyone have any experience with this pack? I'm looking for something that covers less of the dogs in warm weather. I have one of the Palisades and a older Wenaha that work great but both just cover to much area when it's warm.

Or any other suggestions for packs that are on the smaller size for area covered on the dog, would be appreciated. All I really need is capacity for a little water on each side and just enough space for extra leash and couple of dog boots etc which can be divided up with the two dogs. So just enough space for water and a few supplies is enough. Would like to have breathable material next to the dogs.

Thanks

Edited by rebwa (06/09/10 06:41 PM)

#203152 - 06/09/10 07:50 PM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Gidget has an older Mountainsmith pack with removable saddlebags. They don't make that design anymore but ventilation was taken into account with their current saddlebags.

http://www.rei.com/product/787812

"Mesh straddle panel and open strap design allows ventilation"

You might also call this dog pack company in Ashland, Oregon, that has been producing packs for nearly thirty years. The owners, Linda and Paul, have Samoyeds and have been pack-hiking with them for years. Perhaps they can do something custom if you don't think their packs will work. They are very nice people producing a great product.

http://wolfpacks.com/

Wolfpacks is on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolf-Packs-Gear-for-Working-Dogs/92458914506?v=wall

We are now offering our Banzai dog packs in neon pink, a color so bright it can probably be seen from the Moon. The black ballistic fabric characteristic to our Banzai is a prefect accent to the vibrant color. These packs are sure to make you and your dog smile while you are out on the trail together. We plan to continue production of this exclusive color through the end of 2010.

#203187 - 06/10/10 02:44 PM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks, Izzzy and Dagny, I'll check those links out. Found out my local outdoor store is getting the new Singletrack pack from Ruffwear in--so I can at least take a look at it in person and try it on the pups. Ruffwear's sizing can be a little hard to figure as even my male was between large and medium (went with large but it's snugged up all the way on him) in the Palisades pack.

Dagny, I think, can't remember for sure, that the wolfpack folks set up a booth at some of the local dog shows and events. If it was them, their stuff is of high quality. Whoever it was had a gorgeous Samoyed in the booth with them and they were selling packs, harness, lines that sort of equipment. I stopped briefly at the booth going in and then got busy and forgot to go back and check them out further. This was a couple years back, so don't know if they still go to events or not.

#203198 - 06/10/10 07:08 PM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: rebwa]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Wolfpacks has a small pack that might be okay to carry very basic stuff: http://wolfpacks.com/products/dogpacks/saddlebags.html

I have looked at dog packs for years, and just haven't found any that I really liked. Too large, too bulky, sit too far back, too hot, fasteners on the chest rather than the top, straps on the side that can catch in brush, etc.

The two things that I think are the most important are that the pack must ride closer to the dog's shoulders than the middle of his back, and there needs to be a quick-release on the top of the pack. If I run across a bear, I want that pack off my dog NOW, and with a buckle on the chest, that isn't going to happen.

I ran across a Rottie wearing a mesh pack many years ago, but the owner had made it herself, and she said the design was ongoing, and maybe some day she would get it right.

Sue

#203520 - 06/16/10 04:02 AM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: Susan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just remember dogs aren't built to carry a lot of weight.

-john

#203530 - 06/16/10 05:06 PM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: JohnN]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: JohnN
Just remember dogs aren't built to carry a lot of weight.

-john

Good point, most healthy conditioned dogs can safely carry 10% of their body weight, equally divided on each side of the pack. As Susan mentioned weight is easier carried more up over the dogs front assembly, especially on many of the non-working breeds who are not square, meaning the same length as height. I’m partial to a good harness system under any pack to prevent it from creeping up on the dog’s neck. I do like the ruff wear harness for that reason.

I do weigh what I put in each side of the packs on my dogs with a scale and use Nalgene plastic water bottles with marks so if we stop for water along the trail it’s easy to re-adjust the water.

I own a square working breed that have good hip structure, so they can safely carry 10% of body weight and actually more than that, however, I've never asked that of them. Some breeds are better equipped for either weight pulling or carrying than others.

#203542 - 06/17/10 12:09 AM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Excellent points, Rebwa. There is significant variance between breeds. Your pups are fortunate that you give them so many opportunities to explore their potential as working dogs.

To earn points toward a working Samoyed certification, Sammies must qualify in a number of areas. One of those in which Samoyeds can earn points is pack hiking. To qualify for pack hike points, the Samoyed must start the hike with a pack weight equivalent to [u]at least 25%[/u] of their body weight.

Typically the pack is loaded with water or if on a backpacking trip it may contain other consumables such as fuel and food. The pack load is lightened as the contents are consumed (they are not supposed to be dumped out simply to lighten the load). The hike must be a minimum of five miles. More points are earned for increased mileage and elevation gain.

I haven't had Gidget carry that kind of load. To get one's Samoyed certified, the owner must have a high tolerance for paperwork as all these activities must be documented and submitted. I never cared that much about the title.

This smallish saddlebag pack Gidget is wearing below is perfect (and no longer made) for our hikes in cooler weather. She carries her own gear -- poop bags, treats, First Aid, booties -- not much weight. The bags latch and velcro to the harness below (to which the leash is attached). This pack could not carry enough to satisfy the Samoyed certification 25% requirement.

It's also important with weight-bearing activities with dogs to wait until they are old enough that their bones and joints aren't so vulnerable to stress. Gidget started carrying a light pack at about one year. She started pulling me on a scooter around 20 months.

Attachments
IMG_6620.JPG

#203543 - 06/17/10 12:12 AM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: rebwa]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dogs can't carry a whole lot of weight. But, as sledders know, they can be used to pull several times their own weight if a suitable vehicle is provided. A simple cart or travois can be used. A travois has the advantage that they can be made quite stable by making them wide with the weight riding low, are inherently rugged, and they are far less prone to running away and hurting the dog. Simple bands across the shoulders and another in front, three sticks and some lashing is all you need.

American indians sometimes used dogs this way. I've been told that when harnessed the dogs are far less prone to running off and getting into trouble.

#203544 - 06/17/10 12:38 AM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: Art_in_FL]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Certain breeds of dogs (and mixes such as are common in competitive sledding) are incredibly capable. Male Samoyeds (weighing around 60 pounds) have pulled over 2000 pounds in competition, for a limited distance - not sledding. Gidget's mother (43 pounds) has pulled as much as 840 pounds in weight-pull competitions. 20x bodyweight is common for fit Samoyeds (for a limited distance, not sledding). Gidget tried novice weight-pull when she was younger and managed a few hundred pounds before calling it a day.

Gidget's father runs lead (the one yapping in the pic below) and her mother runs wheel on the breeder's 4-dog sled teams. The races they run are one mile per dog on the team.

They are never happier than when they are pulling. Gidget's been pulling me on scooters (20" wheels) and mountain bikes for the past six years. This past winter was her strongest yet. I don't let her pull if it's over 55 degrees.

As soon as she sees the harness coming her way at home, she goes to the front door and waits for The Igidgerod to commence -- usually on the National Mall. Here's a video of a typical Gidg-start when a traffic light turns. Drivers, start your engines....

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Gidgmom/videos/3/

In that video, she was already 4 miles into a 6-mile run. She likes to run so close to light poles that I have considered body armor in addition to my helmet (I concentrate intently so as not to wish for a full-face helmet). She tops out around 25mph, and can maintain 8-10mph for miles, with water breaks. We typically go for 4 to 6 mile runs (well, she runs).

Attachments
excursion_0103.jpg

#203545 - 06/17/10 01:59 AM Re: Summer Dog Pack [Re: Dagny]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dagny - Good to know that next time we need some diphtheria antitoxin delivered we have team for the job. Looks like the dogs positively love the snow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.