Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203071 - 06/07/10 05:14 PM Tips for crowded houses?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just got back from a week's vacation in Minnesota...16 people in my parent's +150 year old farmhouse with three bedrooms and one toilet. Still, things went incredibly smoothly, mainly due to my 76 yr. old mom's amazing ability to be everywhere at once.

Anyway, it occured to me that in the event of a disaster it is quite possible for a house to suddenly be filled up with way too many people and it seemed like a good idea for a thread. several thngs that helped us get through the week:

1. Stacks of toilet paper in the bathroom. Not just 1-2 spare rolls but rather 8-10 rolls on hand within reach of the toilet. Half of the people in the house were under 12 and didn't always tell anyone if the tp was getting low.

2. Everyone had a clothespin with their name on it that they used to mark their bathtowels. 16 white towels make it hard to remember where you hung yours, but we can all recongise our names. grin

3. Twin-sized, inflatable sleeping pads from Walmart are cheap, don't take up much space when deflated and inflate fast.

Any tips or tricks you've picked up from spending time in house full of people?

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203072 - 06/07/10 05:21 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: Blast]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Those are some good ideas. Extra blankets are always nice ot have on hand.

#203073 - 06/07/10 05:48 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: pezhead]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Those are good suggestions. That TP rule is a good one. In my house, I always keep way more than the necessary amount of TP, paper towels and tissues, even though it's just me and my girlfriend here.

I'll add some:

-First capable person in the kitchen cooks breakfast (or helps cooks breakfast) for everybody who wants breakfast. If you sleep in, then don't expect a hot breakfast, unless you make it yourself.

-Leave the kitchen cleaner than you when you arrived. For example, clean your own dishes, and help the cook clean up.

-Strike a match (or spray air freshener) after going number two.

-Extra pillows

-Bring your laptop if you have one. Don't expect to have full access to the house's computer system like you have full access at your own home. If there is only one computer, then the computer is for business and serious matters only. I have witnessed a 12-year-old kid single-handedly bring down an entire home computer network. My nephew was downloading random stuff (games, viruses, etc.) off the Internet.

-Kids are not allowed to say "I can't", not allowed to say "I don't know", and not allowed to whine. My nephew and nieces overuse these tactics, and so I had to make these rules.

#203075 - 06/07/10 07:41 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: ireckon]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Lots of group dynamics that work - growing up with 8 brothers and sisters I'll add a couple:

Eat dinner together. Its when we saw each other, griped about each other, and got bragged on or ragged on for doing something good or bad during the day. Good communication is a key to a group living situation. When I think about growing up its often about sitting around a table at dinner.

Just because [Mom] makes a meal doesn't mean she has to clean up after it - it doesn't matter whose turn it is, someone should be doing KP after every meal. We got better at this one when we got older.

Schedules are flexible and mostly belong to you - doing laundry, baseball, soccer games etc. Someone may take charge and start laundry or drive you to the ballfield, but mostly its up to you. If you want to sit on your butt until 15 minutes before a game fine, but don't expect anyone to run around and get you there on time.

We had cousins, a couple in particular who moved out to the PNW and camped at our house for as long as a couple months. I have an aunt who says that fish and house guests begin to smell after a few days, maybe so. I can't recall my mom or dad ever minding the long term guests, and our cousins are still friendly to us. When they came in though, they functioned as part of the family unit, and had to follow the same rules as everyone else.

If I had to house 16 people today, I would apply some principles learned working at the Red Cross, namely client case work: returning everyone to where they were geographically, economically, and status-wise, as soon as practical. 16 isn't long term sustainable in many modern American households, no matter how much floor space - food and living expenses are greater. You should make a plan with every transient visitor to your home, where they want to go, when they'll get there, and what they'll need or need to do to achieve it. Track the plan, and make sure that people follow through on it.

TP is key :-). I remember Mom buying TP by the pallet, literally - we kept it in a basement storeroom, and took rolls upstairs every day. A remodel added a third bathroom, much appreciated by those of us living downstairs.

#203079 - 06/07/10 09:01 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: Lono]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A friend sets up small dome tents in the larger rooms and designates these as rooms for the kids. Having their own 'room' helps keep thing organized and gives kids a place that is, at least relatively, their own.

Blankets strung from 'clotheslines' can also be used to subdivide large rooms and give people some privacy.

Rigging up a urinal for the males and a cold-water shower outside can free up space in the bathrooms.

A gallon or larger jug wedged between cinder-blocks with a two-foot length of 3/4" PVD pipe and a large funnel stuffed in the top make for a usable urinal. Rig some privacy shields out of plywood or tarps. Empty when half full by filling with water and dumping on the compost heap. With the males doing most of their business at the urinal, outdoors or wherever they spend their time, the traffic around the bathrooms will be greatly reduced. Rigging up urinals is easier on the nose and vegetation than allowing the males to water the property randomly.

The shower can be as simple as a hand sprayer screwed to the wall and fed by a garden hose or you can easily pipe it in by adding a tee and valve to the water line feeding the sillcock. Hand washing and rinsing off can be done clothes on but if you rig a curtain an actual hot-weather shower is practical. Duck boards or course gravel control the mud and tracking.

#203081 - 06/07/10 09:41 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Kudos to your mom. If it makes her happy, it's probably good for her.

Random thoughts:

One or two daily meals with everyone together helps forge a positive group dynamic.

Help with cleanup. (Though watch out for generational pitfalls; I have been shooed out of the kitchen by my aunties, who are busy making order and visiting, and don't need a ham-handed male getting in the way. I kid you not.)

Give the guys a project or two. Men don't care to sit around and discuss their health conditions (and would likely rather slit their own throats). They'll jump at the chance to build a shelf, reshingle the garden shed, improvise an outdoor shower, you name it.

Kids (increasingly) are too used to being entertained artificially. They've forgotten how to do it on their own. An adult who's willing to spend time with them, teaching how to have fun without electronics, will be a hero to kids and parents alike. Not to mention changing the world just a little. And preventing the whining, which is a contagion like no other.

A spray bottle by the toilet or outhouse, with a bit of dish soap and a few drops of bleach, helps everyone keep things tidy.

This for introverts like me:
Maintain and respect one private space for the host. The host is not being a grouch for going off on a long walk or out to the cabin to read and have a pint in peace. He is recharging his social batteries and will be with you shortly.

#203091 - 06/08/10 01:40 AM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Make it a Point,That the only thing seen on TV is The daily news in the morning,TV is Off-Limits otherwise!Provide plenty of Local media.i.e.-Daily newspapers,magazines,even coupons/advertisements from local stores.Keep lots of strong coffee on hand & Iced tea, as well.Eat outside on a daily basis,weather permitting.Keep a Camera handy for, the lazy moments of relatives,everyone will get a kick out of it,& Any plans that come about will be,decided upon in much quicker fashion.Fishing is Good for everyone,No age restrictions.Hang yellow jacket traps/fly traps thruout the yard.Those porta-showers from the Guide,work real well for Potty's as well,but you are definitely aware of that choice,lol!Keep everyone Full from Morning to Night,Make a Huge pot of Booya,& let everyone pitch in,Same thing with the Swedish Pancakes in the morning.Have everyone pitch in on Making Marzipan,& then bake it in many loaves of bread,feed this to the kids,as often as possible,&they will be full for the duration,hence less whining,etc.Make hand-made Ice Cream with the crank buckets,have every one lend a hand,or churn butter by hand,Keep a Vid-cam handy,these are the times when the Family secrets,are revealed!

#203093 - 06/08/10 05:46 AM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ireckon

-Kids are not allowed to say "I can't", not allowed to say "I don't know", and not allowed to whine.

Ah... love this smile We try to enforce a "no whining voice"-rule, and it really does works wonders.

Most of the things I think of are more related to what you personally should do (keep your personal stuff out of "public" areas, volunteer for breakfast/dinner/doing the dishes etc), but I can't think of any effective way of conveying those rules to the clueless who "just don't get it".

Enforce very strict TV rules, in particular if the TV dominates the most strategic place in the living room.

Make the kids go outside to play. They are just as affected as the grown-ups with being stuck that many noisy people in that little space.

Get the kids a solid breakfast. There's few thing worse than kids that are whining because they have been up for 3 hours with nothing substantial to eat. In fact, get everyone who's up at say 8:30 a solid breakfast. Each day.

#203094 - 06/08/10 05:49 AM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: Richlacal]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
There have been some great ideas expressed that I will use in the future.

I also set up the porta potty in the garage with a curtain for privacy in case someone has a number 2 emergency.

I like to feed people by age groups. Toddlers first (adults and teens serve and feed the toddlers), then teenagers (adults watch the toddlers), then the adults (while the teenagers watch the toddlers).

I try to keep people occupied, at a leisurely pace; chores during the day, board and card games in the evenings. I will send adults with teens, to take walks during the day, to do a little passive recon, check on neighbors (especially elderly neighbors).

#203099 - 06/08/10 12:16 PM Re: Tips for crowded houses? [Re: Richlacal]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
What is Booya?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 569 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.