Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#20305 - 10/19/03 02:04 AM Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been hearing that international delivery pilots are leaving their life rafts at home, because of the Hazmat expense incured in getting the raft back after delivering the plane to its desination. In some cases, I've also heard, the cost of shipping the raft home is almost as expensive as the raft itself. I wonder if it's possible to remove the CO2 bottle and flares, and leave them behind to solve the problem. Then the pilot could bring the raft home as checked baggage. Of course it's much easier to remove the CO2 from a life vest, but I wonder how it could be done with a raft.

#20306 - 10/19/03 07:11 PM Re: Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

It is expensive, but it isn't usually that expensive. OTOH, for some used piece of crap raft, I suppose it could be. What's your life worth? Flares are pretty worthless and could be left out of the survival kit without any significant impact on survivability, but the cylinder is the big problem.

It is not easy to detach or empty a charged cylinder from a conventionally packed aviation life raft without unpacking and repacking the raft. That IS expensive. I can think of only one where it might be moderately easy and it is an expensive raft, which few ferry pilots would purchase because they usually go for cheap and light weight.

That doesn't have to be so, but most ferry pilots are way to cheap to have one custom packed to allow it to be done easily. I have also made suggestions for a feature that would allow the CO2 to be vented and recharged without repacking, but not a single raft manufacturer has bothered with it. Too expensive for too small a market it seems. Sooner or later someone will die and then something might happen.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#20307 - 10/20/03 04:44 AM Re: Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
Anonymous
Unregistered

[censored] raft. Anyway, now I need a new raft, and posted to see if you or anyone else here has any ideas how to configure an acceptable raft that could be shipped without incurring the hazmat charge. For example, a friend of mine once told me he paid almost $2000 to get his raft home. That’s almost as much as his pay for the trip, so basically he could have made more money staying home flight instructing. If the competition bids a trip knowing they will not have to pay raft shipping, they will get the job every time over the pilot that carries a raft.

The answer to your question (rhetorical I assume) is that MY life (and any life for that matter) is worth a bunch. It’s very easy to flinch at the high costs of a good raft while one is sitting at his computer looking at online prices, but of course, that is the wrong mindset. I once built a 34 ft sailboat in New Zealand, then sailed it around the Pacific for nine years, ending up in California. As I researched rafts in preparation for my voyage, I was shocked at the prices. After all, I had pretty much shot my wad building the boat, so an expensive raft was almost too much to bear. When I turned to a good friend that had made many ocean voyages (including a Whitbread with Peter Blake) for advice, he said to picture myself standing on the cabin roof of my sinking boat with the waves lapping at my ankles. Then, and only then, should I ask myself how much I was willing to pay for a raft. I ended up buying an expensive raft.

I feel the same way about flying aircraft over oceans. Get the best survival gear one can afford. However, as with anything else, economics (and weight) must eventually be considered, and that’s why I made my post. If I can’t make money taking the survival equipment I need, I’ll stay home.

#20308 - 10/20/03 12:54 PM Re: Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

You show more common sense than many. It is unfortunate that you and other pilots are put into this position by stupid policies. I am off for a couple weeks on the road, but email me in November and I might have some raft suggestions that could solve your problem.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#20309 - 10/20/03 01:36 PM Re: Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I am not a pilot so this suggestion may be off the mark as I don't know much about the plane delivery business.

Could you work out a raft exchange with a fellow pilot or company. You fly the raft one way and the other party flies it back the other way. Depends a lot on the frequency and locations of your deliveries. You also offer the raft as a purchase option on your bid. Position it as a value-added service. Perhaps you could even work out a deal with a manufacturer as a distributor.

#20310 - 10/20/03 03:50 PM Re: Why delivery pilots are leaving the raft at home
Anonymous
Unregistered

Willie,

Thank you for your suggestions. They mirror my own thoughts.

I didn’t include it in my last post, but for years I have been thinking about becoming a source of survival equipment (and possibly even training) for both ferry pilots and private pilots making oceanic flights. Spreading out the cost of this expensive equipment in the form of a rental payment may make economic sense to these pilots.

Not surprisingly, Doug was already aware of the shipping problem caused by the CO2 cylinder. Apparently, he has an idea for a solution. His last post to me said to contact him when he returns to work in a few weeks. I’ll keep you all posted.

Nice forum. IMHO this is the way discussion groups are supposed to work.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.