Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#202137 - 05/20/10 02:01 AM EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Allright, all it is yet another EDC bag thread, but the main reason I'm writing is I want to add a repair kit above and beyond the safety pins and wire in my Ritter PSP.

Anyone know of a commercial GOOD repair kit that is EDC small and I could throw in my day bag? I've searched around the interwebs and either get crappy sewing kits, or things that are too big. I want something capable of handling most small repairs one would need in a Situation. I'd love to take the time to put one together, but busy life, you all know.

What's in my EDC bag, which is a WWII MK IV canvas Gas Mask bag with a leather strap (think Indiana Jones) is, at the moment.

Camulus US ARMY issue pocket knife, stainless steel
2 BIK lighter
Doan Bar Magnesium fire starter (clipped to bag with chain)
Doan Bar Magnesium fire sterter (second in bag)
Brunton sphere compass, pinned to bag where I can use it as a nav reference
2 AAA batteries, as spares
UHU glue stick
tape measure
3 gig micro SD card loaded with docs (birth certificate, car title etc), displays on camera
Olympus stylus tough digital camera
16 G flash drive with medical records and many other docs, updated monthly
Ritter PSP kit
Highly Modified Bass Pro Shops FAK, customized with the stuff I need (more wound care, got rid of instruction brochure, added bonnine, diphenhydramine, immodium AD, lots of tylenol, zip pack of antibiotics, pulled the butterflies replaced with strips and tinicture of benzoin in a small squeeze)
2 handkerchiefs
2 bandannas
2 pairs latex-free gloves
Set of four SouthOrd lockpicks with tension wrench
checkbooks
$150 cash in small bills, secreted here and there.
small roll duct tape
digital voice recorder, Olympus
Journal, Renaissance Arts, medium
Pen case with
Parker sonnet
Cross Fountian
Pellikan Fountain
Mountblanc Fountain
Cross mechanical pencil
Cross multi-tip, felt tip
Cross multi-tip, document marker
A nondescript ballpoint to loan people
LED flashlight, AAA batteries
30x jewler's loupe
Small sachet of fir (usless, but smells nice)
four cigars
small notebook
cloth case with busines cards and small notebook
Small bottle of FP ink, and some ink cartridges.

I GENERALLY clip is sigg water-bottle to this with a good 'beener rated for climbing. When the water bottle isn't on there, the 'beener still is.

I need to add a repair kit, and some rope (spectra? Paracord?) If I could find a really small space blanket or bivvy sack I'd do it.

Any suggestions? I think I have the big things covered. I covet space in this as most of what is in this bag are things I use every day (for instance, I continually redo and replish the FAK, use the pens for writing, write in the journal) which take up the most space. I do have the Ritter PSP, the doan bars, and a couple sets of gloves taking up 'only in emergency' space, but they stay out of the way.

Best,

JB

#202152 - 05/20/10 08:35 AM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: erehwon]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Maybe. This

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#202153 - 05/20/10 10:12 AM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: erehwon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I use a Webtex S95 sewing kit as the basis for a EDC sewing kit. Other items such as kevlar thread, other items from a supermarket kit such as buttons, sail needles and some decent folding scissors etc need to be added though.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...kit-372612.html

#202158 - 05/20/10 12:45 PM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Harbor Freight sells a sewing awl for $4 that comes with a huge spool of heavy waxed thread. I recently used it to modify a knife sheath. It was not pretty, but I had no prior experience with using a sewing awl.

There is a picture of the results on my blog. Not a real good picture. I took it with my cell phone.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/cold-steel-bushman-sheath-modifications.html

Bob

#202166 - 05/20/10 02:53 PM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: ILBob]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For thread I would suggest 100% nylon uphostery thread. Coats & Clark brand is readily available. Unless you want to buy a lifetime supply 1 lb cone like I did.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#202191 - 05/20/10 10:25 PM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Actually, the webtex looks decent, well, like a good base. I'll add to it and juice it up a bit.

Thanks!

JB

#202192 - 05/20/10 10:38 PM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: erehwon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
To start, dental floss and some good, strong needles. Add a GOOD thimble. Few feet electricians tape. Some zipties, maybe a little rawhide. A pair of good manicure scissors and a pair of toenail clippers. You've got wire, duct tape and safety pins already.

Steping up from here is some upholstry thread or a good braided fishing line like Spiderwire, 20#- add a little bit of bees wax, it helps. Some curved needles, and a couple small hemostats. Maybe a roll of vet wrap (I like blaze orange or nuke green or hot pink- then you can use it strips for flagging).

Then a good awl needle, with a pin vise for a handle. Once you have the pin vise, look for precision driver bits and a long, stout iron rod that fit. The rod gets pointed- add a couple of paper clips to make a stand, and some low temp electronics soldier. Heat the tip with your lighter and work fast.

A 3-4" length of bicycle innertube and good rubber cement is always nice.

So how crazy do you want to get?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#202215 - 05/21/10 11:37 AM Re: EDC bag request for help - Sewing and repair kit [Re: ironraven]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
For needles, I suggest tapestry needles. The eyeholes are large, and the needles are quite beefy. I bought a bunch a few months ago, and put some in my kits. One thing you may have to do, is modify the tips-some of them are square, almost blunt. But, a little time with sandpaper, and finishing it up with a wetstone, and youre good to go smile

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.