Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I live in South Dakota. Most deaths here are from boredom. wink

Probably after living a long, decent, productive life.

I have spent the last ten years working (digging fossils) every July in South Dakota. Along with that I have bike toured around the state, including one great ride from Hot Springs to Sisseton. Now SD isn't perfect, no place is, but SD has really great people and some great country - two National Parks, two of the largest cave systems in the world ( Jewel and Wind, ranked #2 and 3), and fabulous paleontology and archaeology - just to hit on subjects of great interest to me.

The people? - throw another log on the fire and let me tell a true experience. My boss and I were test driving his newly refurbished Jeep on our lunch hour, when we had a problem with the clutch linkage. A trivial problem, and we were easy walking distance between both work and his home, but within five minutes three separate cars, all complete strangers, stopped to see if we could use any help. Try that in LA!

I know SD has drawbacks - you lack the mellow climate of Southern California, but also the crowded freeways and the frantic pace. There is both good and bad about that. I must admit I have never experienced a SD winter - some of the state got snow just a few days ago, right?

A year or so ago, the only Starbucks int the entire state was in Sioux Falls. There is now one in Rapid City. There is good and bad in that, too.

Entering the state capitol, Pierre, from the west, you cross the Lt. Com. John Waldron Memorial Bridge, dedicated to one of this nation's greatest heroes, but that's another story.

Phaedrus, I think you are very fortunate to live where you do. Then again, most of us are fortunate to live where we do. I am looking forward eagerly once again to my South Dakota Fix this July.....

Edited by hikermor (05/16/10 01:21 PM)