The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#201902 - 05/16/10 07:36 AM Baby Soda Bottles
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Just an interesting note for you. I've been wanting to get some "Baby Soda Bottles", these little beaker/test tubes made from unformed soda bottles. Normally they're about $2 each, but I found a place where they're only $.50 each! I just placed an order for like 30 or 40 of, because there's one catch...shipping is about $15. I hemmed and hawed, but eventually I decided that even with shipping, I could get 40 of them cheaper here than I could get 15 of them at the next best place I can find them. These things should be very, very, very durable- and waterproof to boot. I want to use them for storing survival matches and medications, maybe use one for storing honey for my FAK. Even something like alcohol or Hebiclens should work well. I ordered mostly clear but about 10 of the blue ones, along with some plastic test tubes.

Something I should have thought of before is a group buy. Oh, well...maybe next time! If anyone is interested in this product I'll let you now how the service is once I get 'em.

#201911 - 05/16/10 01:11 PM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: Phaedrus]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
These things should be very, very, very durable- and waterproof to boot. I want to use them for storing survival matches and medications, maybe use one for storing honey for my FAK. Even something like alcohol or Hebiclens should work well.

Wellllll... I've used them for years and I wouldn't be so enthusiastic without further testing. They are only as leakproof as a soda bottle which you re-cap: the threads wear eventually and I find that volatile liquids escape in time. They are very thick, and you won't be able to squeeze out thicker substances (honey, peanut butter, first aid creams or ointments, etc. You can get them out, but will have to scrape the tube to get much out of it. I do find that they are great for sorting, protecting, and organizing small gear. Pills, matches, hooks and split-shot, etc. And I augment the waterproofing by putting waterproof tape over the cap and threads. IMHO they're neat little tubes, but TEST them.

#201915 - 05/16/10 01:53 PM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: NAro]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

same product, another source ( with caps) http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1367

#201953 - 05/17/10 02:26 AM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good to know. Yeah, I'd obviously test them first. That second source is probably a better deal- oh, well live and learn. I do think they're probaby sufficiently waterproof for organizing stuff like bandaids and matches, maybe some paracord. They'd probably make decent economical improvised sharps containers, too.

#201956 - 05/17/10 02:51 AM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Cool find.

#201958 - 05/17/10 02:52 AM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: Art_in_FL]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, it won't be a huge deal if the threads wear out. At $.50 each I'd consider them somewhat disposable. Hopefully they're work nice in my first aid/survival kits.

#201968 - 05/17/10 06:09 AM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: Phaedrus]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Look like great seed holders for the garden.

#201994 - 05/17/10 05:58 PM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: Todd W]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I don't know.
Seems to me alot cheaper to just have an eye for containers while shopping in your favorite stores. Most stuff you get comes in some kind of container and many of them are cute.

I have used some of these free containers for tiny first aid kit and anything else you can think of. Sometime ago I bought a perfume that came in a nice pouch. That pouch is now where I keep my passport and other stuff.

Lately I have been looking for a container for cotton/petroleum jelly. I can't think of BUYING a container when everything in a drug store, food store, mega store, or any store comes packaged in something.

#202000 - 05/17/10 06:52 PM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: Chisel]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
A valid point Mr. Chisel. The problem is this, I'd rather have something that I know works than search for something that MIGHT work.

I've got 2 similar containers that I got from CountyComm, they're durable, watertight, pretty much perfect for what they are meant for.

The ones I ordered are the same material so I know that they're watertight and durable and they come with what looks like a better and more useful cap.

It costs me about 50 cents per mile to drive, I'd rather spend 8 bucks and have something I know will work delivered to my door then spend half that much in driving costs and who knows how many hours of shopping to find something that may work in a store.

Like using soda bottles for water storage, I don't buy soda, I'd rather spend a bit more and get better containers then buy something I don't use and pour it out just to salvage the bottles.

Different strokes and all that.

P.S. as for improving their sealing abilities, I've found that a short piece of teflon tape works wonders for almost any threaded container.

Edited by JohnE (05/17/10 06:53 PM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#202003 - 05/17/10 07:42 PM Re: Baby Soda Bottles [Re: JohnE]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I exclusively use PET bottles for every day drinking container (cheap, reusable, extremely durable, recycle whenever it gets unpleasant). Based on those experiences I got some of these baby PET bottles a while ago.

Sorry to say, but for me they became a solution looking for a problem. The things I would like to keep absolutely waterproof typically don't fit in there, or would be a pain to remove. The things that do fit ... do not require such a sturdy, bulletproof and waterproof container, and will pack much smaller in other bags, pouches or containers.

The only thing I could use them for would be liquids in small quantities and the cotton / vaseline trick (using a small string or whatever so I don't have to pull them out with a stick). I have filled some cooking oil into one and put a regular drinking cap on for easy pouring. This is a semi-long term test of how this solution will endure temperature fluctuations and long term abuse. Cooking oil is something I really would like to keep absolutely sealed in such a small container and not worry about spilling oil on my gear. The weakest point is the drinking cap, I have some doubts about that one.

Oh, remembering today's USB stick thread actually I could use them for my USB memory sticks... That's 3 applications that actually could be useful for me. Hm... maybe my impulse buy wasn't so bad after all. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.