OK, since Jonathan got this started, I'll toss in some initial factoids instead of getting some sleep like I should be. BTW, we should include the 95mm knives as well - those are the ones with the Alox (aluminum) scales

I have three sample knives in front of me: current model "2 layer" 91mm knife, a current Rucksack "3 layer" 111mm knife, and a ~25 year old "4 layer" 91mm knife that is a precursor of the Huntsman (not Hunter, which is an 111mm).

The 2 layer knife averages about 14.1mm thick, the 3 layer knife averages about 17.9mm thick, and the 4 layer knife averages about 19.5mm thick. The cellidor handles vary in thickness a bit depending on where the measurement is taken - thickest over a mounting stud; thinner between studs. None of these measurements include the slight protrusions on the right side due to the corkscrew or phillips screw driver (they use the same "notch" in the right side handle if the phillips is mounted on the back of the blade - more on that later - but that is why you may have a corkscrew or a phillps on the back, but not both - usually)

I'm sticking to Victorinox because that is what I am familiar with - Wenger owners jump in anytime.

A 91mm 4 layer knife is the largest EDC pocket knife that is comfortable to me. I can (and have) worn a saber on my belt, but I'm talking POCKET KNIFE here. In a 91mm knife, a 5 layer feels FAT to me.

Layers are not identical in thickness, but they run in the range of 3.5mm to 4.1mm (and then subtract about 0.75mm for one side plate common to an adjacent layer).

In a 111mm knife, which is not too large for me in any field clothing (but not office), a three layer knife feels too slim. Handling various fixed blade knives and measuring thicknesses, I extrapolate that in a 111mm knife, a 5 layer 111mm knife would probably be "just right", but I have not picked up one yet to verify this.

BTW, the reason a 111mm does not suit me in office togs is because they do not have clips to orient them vertically; a 91mm lies in the bottom of my front pocket without protruding, but a 111mm "sticks out" laying horizontally in my front pocket. YMMV.

One final note before I move away from handles/layers: the natural grip for non-straining tasks is different between the 91mm and the 111mm.

As for the locks on 111mm - all I have handled, including this specimen, are loose, even NIB. Yes, they lock securely enough for me for this kind of knife. No, they are not movement-free like even an ancient Buck lock back folder or any of my liner locks. There seems to be about 2-3 degrees of "clearance" movement in the Victorinox lock. I think the Wengers are lock backs (correct me if I am wrong), and even tho I favor Vics, I imagine the Wengers lock up better. And the Wengers lockbacks have a more suitable blade shape (clip point). FWTIW...

Next post, some pics. Tomorrow/this weekend, some serious thoughts from me. For now, let me leave this seed: All the 2 blade knives I've examined COULD have a longer small blade. I'd like to see a drop point main blade and a clip point small blade that is slightly longer than the existing blade. The existing sort of "saber grind" profile is good, and the existing choil is good, although I would like to see it a little larger and deeper if taken out of the (bolster?) thick part of the root of the blade.

Y'all jump in on this - maybe we can cook up something neat - if nothing else, there must be SAK smiths out there who will do mods...

On to the next post... *edit* - I really need to zonk out - I'll continue this late tomorrow or this weekend, including some pics - I have to upload them first and I'm too tired to do that tonight. * end edit*

Tom

Edited by AyersTG (10/17/03 04:38 AM)