The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200809 - 04/23/10 02:45 PM Alarm worked
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
So I got home from a quick trip out to get stuff and found my house alarm going off. The back door had been kicked in. The front door held, tho it's cracked, the garage door took a shot and held. Appears the back door took 4 or more kicks before the door finally failed. The alarm went off when the door opened. Looks like no one entered, they must have beat feet when the alarm went off. Nothing was taken, cats were fine. I called 911 and then cleared the house with the .357 while waiting on the cops. Cops got here quick enough once called. The alarm was unmonitored, but that'll change.

Lessons learned:

Alarms work.
3 inch screws hold door casings together.
Buy better doors next time around.

If the back door hadn't literally broken from the repeated kicks, I don't think anyone would have been able to get in.

Methinks I am hiding my truck in the garage for a bit while I am home alone and see what happens.

#200811 - 04/23/10 03:01 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JBMat]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Determined buggers! And this happened while you took a "quick trip out"? That's scary. Is that timing coincidence?

Glad you're fine and nothing was taken. I think I personally would've refrained from clearing the home alone (I'm assuming that you didn't leave anyone home when you left).

#200812 - 04/23/10 03:05 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JBMat]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Random thoughts.

After you get better doors, look for the next weakest link. Probably your windows. It is unlikely you'll be able to make it so they "can't get in", but hopefully make it more work than it is worth.

Also, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping Look at getting locks that are resistant to this method since it is fast and easy.

For windows, they have films, or when you replace your windows, consider getting ones with laminated glass. You can still get in, but it is more work.

You'd probably be better off letting the police clear the house unless you had an immediate need (wife/kids in the house).

Good luck.

-john

#200820 - 04/23/10 04:19 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JohnN]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
No one but the cats were at home. I wasn't worried about clearing the house, as I was armed and pretty sure no one was around. It's not that big a house and not many place to hide.

Coincidence, I don't think so. A nearby rental house was recently rehabbed after a tenant moved out. The workmen had a clear view of my house, and other neighbors, and could guess our movements. My truck not being there was a giveaway no one was home. However, that truck's in the garage Monday, let us see who drops by.

#200823 - 04/23/10 04:28 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JBMat]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Scary. Be careful! Glad you, your cats, and your things are safe. smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#200836 - 04/23/10 05:52 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JBMat]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: JBMat
A nearby rental house was recently rehabbed after a tenant moved out. The workmen had a clear view of my house, and other neighbors, and could guess our movements. My truck not being there was a giveaway no one was home. However, that truck's in the garage Monday, let us see who drops by.

That'd be my bet. It's a common correlation around here. A friend's rowhouse was accessed through a window air conditioning unit during the daytime and via a ladder. She's convinced it was one or more of the workmen who were renovating a rowhouse a few doors down.

Thieves don't just randomly pick houses to rob. They case the place first.

If you don't have a dog I highly recommend getting the biggest dog bowl you can find and leaving that on the back porch along with a large sterilized dog bone, "I Love My Rottweiler" door mat and a chain attached to a post.

And of course, make sure you have adequate insurance.

Sympathies on the damage and duress, but congrats on not suffering greater harm.

#200838 - 04/23/10 06:04 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

A good friend who spent a lifetime in law enforcement told me that thieves hate houses with big dogs! My dogs drink out of stainless bowls in the house but I leave those big plastic dog bowls on the deck and by the entrance, along with a breed club decal on a couple of windows.

Glad they didn't do more damage, and sorry about the doors.

#200839 - 04/23/10 06:22 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: rebwa
A good friend who spent a lifetime in law enforcement told me that thieves hate houses with big dogs! My dogs drink out of stainless bowls in the house but I leave those big plastic dog bowls on the deck and by the entrance, along with a breed club decal on a couple of windows.

Glad they didn't do more damage, and sorry about the doors.

Very wise.

I have a "Fireman - Rescue my Dog!" sticker on front and rear windows. *** Happens to be true in my case but also informs potential intruders that they will be greeted by a carnivore with large fangs.

Of course, if your house is being closely stalked then they may have surmised that no dog lives there. On the other hand, not everyone walks their dog.

A friend whose suburban neighborhood had experienced a rash of break-ins took my advice to buy a "Beware of German Shepherd" sign which was emblazoned with a drawing of a GS. She also did the dog bowl, dog bone, doormat drill.

I learned this strategy from the NRA's "Refuse To Be A Victim" seminar.

So far, so good.

*** Just to be clear for anyone who might infer otherwise: I don't advocate the stickers if you do not, in fact, have pets. If you have a pet and want to give them a chance in a fire, by all means display the stickers. But don't fake out the fireman with a false sticker.

#200840 - 04/23/10 06:29 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: JBMat]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm glad that you weren't robbed.

I probably would have waited for the police to clear thee house before I thought about going in myself. I'm pretty selfish that way. LOL

#200842 - 04/23/10 06:31 PM Re: Alarm worked [Re: Nicodemus]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
It isn't being selfish. They are trained how to do it, and probably will have more than one person for cover. You probably haven't been, and you only have yourself.

-john

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 588 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.