I stopped using SAKs long time ago after I was able to get my hands on decent multitool and locking folder. By all logic it has been a stupid move since I went from one small tool to two big ones. I almost tripled bulk and weight right there. But I gained two tools that are more adequate to do better job than SAK.

I think that SAKs are general all purpose multi situation tools. They look stylish in the restaurant, picnic, camp site, date, outing trip, gold course, etc, etc... Blade quality and number of tools assures you that you are somewhat prepared for everything that can come your way. They are not fully devoted tools that you would use if you had a choice but adequate enough to get you thru the task. SAKs are made to high quality standards, they make nice gifts and if I had to ditch my current setup my replacement choice would be a SAK. They will keep the corkscrew on it as long as cork is used for wines. For some of us it is pointless (beer/whiskey drinkers) but others seem to find use for it.

Also SAK has certain kind of image/status in the society. Imagine you pulling out Sebenza/Spyderco folder in the office to do a task and imagine the same scenario with the SAK. Latter would be more accepted. SAK is also associated with MacGyver who’s non violent image makes the knife somewhat a toy and yet a serious tool. Also I heard that SAKs are for old timers (oh I'm going to get blasted for that), they are considered blades of older generation. But to defend the SAK and corkscrew... My dog grabbed my wine/bottle opener and decided to roll it under the couch somewhere. Friend of mine who had a SAK on him was able to perfectly open wine for the ladies without old push the cork in the bottle method.

Matt