Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200328 - 04/16/10 07:43 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: paramedicpete]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
paramedic- thanks. niko's tail was already done when I got him, but I have NO plans of chopping off his adorable ears! smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#200333 - 04/16/10 09:38 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: paramedicpete]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
sadly, Nico's picture showed up on my PSP but not my computer! he really is cute!

#200370 - 04/17/10 05:20 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: paramedicpete]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And now for the kit for the pup:

Recent photos
Copy of vaccinations, esp rabies
Car harness that attaches to seatbelt
Food & treats
Water
Collar & tags, one with vet info*
Leash & steel aircraft cable tie-out (non-chewable)
1 or 2 bowls (some are collapsible)
Box of cheap (non-zip) plastic bags for waste collection
Roll of paper towels
Blankie
Toys
Maybe tarp for shelter

Pet First Aid kit (talk to your vet for meds)
Gauze pads
Stretchy-sticky bandaging tape (cheaper at farm supply?)
Q-tips
Antiseptic wipes
Tweezers and scissors
Disposable gloves

*I think most vets will take in ID’d pets when brought in by strangers, but leaving a document in their files that says you WILL pay the bill might be a good thing; also give permission to euthanize if needed).

Sue

#200374 - 04/17/10 06:39 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: Susan]
Krista Offline

Originally Posted By: Susan
And now for the kit for the pup:

*I think most vets will take in ID’d pets when brought in by strangers, but leaving a document in their files that says you WILL pay the bill might be a good thing; also give permission to euthanize if needed).

Sue

thank you susan! Lots of stuff I didn't think of in there. I'm wondering, what if he gets lost and hurt and a stranger does take him to a vet, but not a vet I've seen before? Can you make notes in the microchipping records that indicate that i WILL pay for expenses for any treatment he needs? That seems like the most practical way to ensure he gets treated if separated from me...

~Marion C. Garretty

#200376 - 04/17/10 06:52 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: Krista]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... what if he gets lost and hurt and a stranger does take him to a vet, but not a vet I've seen before?"

I don't know if you can add notes to your microchip service (usually AVID or HomeAgain), but you could call to ask. It might be easier to have info engraved on a steel collar tag (NOT aluminum or other soft metal that could wear off) that you're good for the bill... "injury bills guaranteed" or something? That also might be an impetus for a kind finder that is hesitating taking the dog in, in fear they might be stuck with a big bill. And there are still a few vet clinics that haven't invested in the the chip scanners, not many, but some.

Another way might be to have a out-of-area relative's (same last name, preferably) phone number on the tag for alternate contact, and brief them on what to say. Have them guarantee payment, even though you'll be the one to pay.

Also make sure you understand how the chip system functions, and what you should do if he is lost or stolen. I know you can call AVID and have the dog's number flagged LOST or STOLEN, but I don't know if anything else.

Sue

#200381 - 04/17/10 09:06 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: Susan]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I keep a printed copy of this with my human and dog FAK in the SUV. The normal values chart is very handy to have with you. If you're ever on the phone with a vet in an emergency situation they will be asking you for the values. If you have any questions most vets will be happy to help you with looking at normal cap refill times etc, when your puppy is in for shots.

http://www.k9forensic.org/k9firstaid.html

I keep it folded and inside this human FAK book. This book came with a FAK but you can get the book alone. It's one of the better emergency FAK books I've found. I highly recommend the Adventure Medical FAK.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/prod...avel%20Medicine

#200454 - 04/18/10 11:51 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: rebwa]
Krista Offline

thanks so much for that link rebwa! definitely looks super useful. yet another item to add to my "to print" list, lol. smile

~Marion C. Garretty

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 326 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.