Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#199827 - 04/07/10 07:21 PM Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Looks like I'll be traveling to Phoenix to stalk Doug Ritter on business soon. There is a very, very slight chance I might have some time to kill and I noticed I'm staying near the northeast corner of South Mountain Park .

Worth bringing my hiking gear? Anything I need to know besides hydrate and watch out for rattlers?

Quote:
What to do when you need help
S.T.O.P. (Stop, Think, Observe, Plan). Your brain is your #1 survival tool.

I wonder where they learned that from...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#199830 - 04/07/10 10:06 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: thseng]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Nah. South Mountain is pretty tame. The trails are definitely desert like but you won't need sticks or heavy pack. Just bring lots of water, common sense, good map of the park trails, you can get by with running shoes. You'll see lots of cyclists, (road & mtn) and trail runners.

Snakes are still down for a few more weeks I think. I haven't seen any in the other desert areas yet. Still too cold in the mornings for them to be moving around much.

Probably some good geocaching there but I haven't looked at that area for that yet.

#199834 - 04/07/10 11:11 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: comms]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Thanks. Tame is fine - if I have any time at all it would only be a few hours. I'm unfamiliar with the area or even the region.

Can you shed any light on this:
Quote:
Beginning April 5, 2010, all gated roadways and trailhead parking areas will operate under new hours -- 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Though gated parking areas, including restrooms and ramadas, will close at 7 p.m., the trails remain open until 11 p.m.

and take a taxi home? 11pm seems kinda late for a day hike. Better bring my headlamp.

#199836 - 04/08/10 12:02 AM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: thseng]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would recommend an early start to whatever hikes you do. 4:30 AM was a typical start time for me in Tucson, which if usually about five to ten degrees cooler than Phoenix. By 9 AM, it will be getting pretty toasty.

#199868 - 04/08/10 02:30 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

There are several entrance's at the park. And the parking lots are fairly small. So it is common for people to park as far as 1/2 mile away and hike/run/bike into the park.

#199871 - 04/08/10 03:23 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: comms]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

The only chance I could possibly have is in the late afternoon to evening. Looks like the sun sets around 7:00. I'm not opposed to coming back in the dark, so long as it is allowed.

I'm looking at this parking lot off of 46th st. Doesn't look like there's a gate. I could park there and make a loop on Beverly Canyon Trail and Javelina Canyon Trail. 3.2 miles total, just a good stretch of the legs after a long day's work.

I get the impression that this end of the park might be less crowded.

I can't seem to find a more detailed trail map other than the very rough one on the park website.

#199873 - 04/08/10 04:15 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: thseng]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
That is my preferred parking lot, it is less crowded and since it boarders a defense contractors property there is a security guard and off duty PD officer watching the area 24/7.

Green Trails makes a more detailed map of the mountain, it can be purchased at REI at Priest and Southern (about 2 miles from the 46th street trail head)

The park is well used after dark, hiker's and mountain biker's lights can be seen on the trails well past the gate closing time. While some of the developed area's close at 1900... the trails are open until much later (2300 I believe).

If you are staying at the AZ Grand Resort, there is really no reason to drive to the parking lot as the East loop trails run along the golf course and can be accessed easily from the resort.

My engine company is first due to most of this side of the mountain as well as the resort, so if you have more questions about the area let me know.

Edited by Alan_Romania (04/08/10 04:16 PM)

#199886 - 04/08/10 08:10 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advise [Re: Alan_Romania]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the info. I'm not exactly staying at the Grand Resort - something more like the "Happiness Hotel". I remember seeing the REI last time.

This just might work out. Assuming all heck doesn't break loose, I'll recon on day one, and on day two I'll finish up my work, grab a quick snack and then go for a hike. My flight home leaves at oh-dark-thirty the next day.

#201225 - 04/30/10 03:38 PM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advice [Re: thseng]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the advice folks. Time and luggage space were limited, so I didn't pack by boots or gear. However, I couldn't resist venturing from the parking lot a little ways. I walked up the ridge on an unmarked trail and then came back along the Beverly Canyon trail.

Interesting country. A very alien environment for me. Coming back I felt kinda weird. Then I realized my feet were dry. Back home, traveling along the bottom of a canyon like that would mean you're standing in a stream.

Attachments
IMG_3182s.jpg

#201275 - 05/02/10 04:24 AM Re: Phoenix South Mountain Park - local advice [Re: thseng]
comms Offline
Veteran

glad it worked out for ya. Great weather this week. I did Camelback Friday and Siphon Draw in the Superstitions Saturday.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 744 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.