Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19988 - 10/10/03 04:51 PM Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Howdy,

Okay, it's no secret that I love making and reading equipment lists, so here's the latest one I'm working on, a Vehicle Preparedness List . It is still very much in progress, so any input is appreciated, but there is one specific question I'd like to pose: What are the top 5-10 hand tools you would keep in your trunk/boot for emergency repairs? I keep some slotted and Philips screwdrivers, snub and needle-nose pliers, and large vise-grips. What else?

#19989 - 10/10/03 05:23 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

0) Jumper cables
1) large slotted screwdriver -sb long enough to jump the starter solenoid
2) large Philips screwdrivers,
4) large vise-grips
5) large crescent wrench
6) coat-hanger wire
7) Hose clamps of various sizes
8) zip-ties
9) Muffler Hangers
10) work gloves
11) I keep a leatherman with tool adapter and various added sockets and socket extenders and u-joints that work with the tool adapter so I don't carry seperate small screw-drivers or smaller pliers or wrenches. My auto-maintenance skills are none too advanced either.

Of course there must be a few other oddbits

gas can
radiator stop-leak
anti-freeze
fix-a-flat
Transmission sealant - don't use this stuff unless necessary it is a death warrant for your tranny but it may get you to your destination when nothing else will.

Transmission fluid
oil
Duct-tape
roll of electrical wire
spare fuses for every fuse in the vehicle
wiper blades
windshield washer fluid
Dry-gas
Starter fluid - ether
road flares
hazard flag
couple of hazard triangles
Improvements on mfg-supplied jack - I always carry an X wrench because the silly lug wrench provided is never useful if the lugs are properly tightened.
tow strap
tie-down straps
fire extinguisher
spring loaded center punch
flashlight
bungie cords

in winter I add
Shovel
Sand
Traction mats

The above only covers the vehicle I also carry basic bob type stuff as listed below

Space blankets 1 per seat in vehicle
emergency ponchos 1 per seat in vehicle
umbrella
Gallon of water
Rations
Candle - large, in tin with multiple wicks and sealing top. provides heat and light if car is stalled in winter storm.
In winter I add a CarHart coverall, insulated boots and wool socks and extra jacket for the driver - ME In fact I left those in the trunk this summer since I didn't need the space for anything else.

I also work as a volunteer EMT so there is always an EMT first-in bag in the back seat. Large list of contents there. Mostly airway management and bandaging.

I take a modular approach to the kit thing so since My EDC + PSK will be with me in the car I don't replicate them in the Vehicular kit.

#19990 - 10/10/03 05:35 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks! Yes, I'm with you on the layering/non-replicating approach. Out of curiosity, what is the spring loaded center punch for? To break windows in an emergency?

#19991 - 10/10/03 05:39 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I knew I was forgetting something. The 2 ton hand winch. A little underpowered but still useful if you are careful.

#19992 - 10/10/03 05:39 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

'xactly!

#19993 - 10/10/03 06:39 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Something else that a friend just reminded me of is to include "Torx" -style screwdriver bits, which are needed for some vehicle makes.

#19994 - 10/10/03 06:47 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Rob,

A hammer. You must have a hammer. And a flashlight.

As the owner/driver of two older vehicles (86 Suburban and 82 VW Rabbit P/U), I keep tool kits and spare parts in both.

Also,

Wrenches---socket, combination, allen, etc.... Vehicles are held together by nuts and bolts. Having just a crescent wrench is asking for headaches. Excedrin headaches.

Hose clamps, wire ties, duct tape, wire nuts, hand cleaner, a rag or two, spare belts, hoses, fuses, a quart or two of oil. Water, snacks, warm clothes, blankets, etc....

Lots of other stuff.......those with well maintained newer cars have lots less to worry about than those of us with beaters.

Take care,

Andy

#19995 - 10/10/03 06:53 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Marie Offline

Don't knock your lists.. they're great! I tried to think of ways my Grand Cherokee might be disabled and how/if I could fix these issues on my own. In addition to your list, I've added:

1. Gas syphon: I bought the best one I could find (Pep Boys, I think). My grandfather told me if you get stranded someone might stop with their car all full of gas, but no way to give it to you. Made sense. I've always carried one of these.
2. Hose tape (I keep water in the car)
3. Small set of hose clamps
4. Spare fuses (mixed assortment)
5. Spare leash and high visibility collar w/name tag (we use the orange collar when he swims at the lake)
7. Spare large compressed bone (would also act as a meal for my dog... he'd just think he got to eat twinkies for dinner!)
8. Glass hammer w/seatbelt extractor (in glove box)
9. Blanket rolled up
10. Marine emergency strobe (it's really small and works great) as a signal at night
11. Radio Shack wind-up radio (great for not killing your car battery when you're just goofing off at the lake)
12. Tire repair kit (a good set where you can plug your own holes) from Pep Boys again.

In addition to the tire repair kit, I have the obligatory can of Fix-a-flat. I've been looking for a better way to refill a tire after a repair, but don't know if a small tire pump is something I can use on a car (Similar to a bike pump). Any suggestions? My tires are large!

I've also been considering putting something for radiator repair (I saw a tube of stuff you put in your radiator that "fixes leaks" for you)... but I don't know if it would work well or not. It looked like gold goop, if I remember correctly.

#19996 - 10/10/03 07:03 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Great suggestions all around!

#19997 - 10/10/03 08:43 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
As far as refilling a tire I bought a small compressor that plugs into a power port (cigarette lighter) and it works really well. It would take a bit to fill a totally deflated tire but for 5-10 pounds it only takes a few minutes. I can't remember the brand name right now but I'll see if I can post it later and a link if I find one.

#19998 - 10/10/03 08:49 PM Don't forget your metric wrenches!
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
Just as a reminder don't forget to pack metric sizes as well as imperial sizes. It used to be you just needed imperial sized stuff, then it was a mix of metric and imperial now mostly metric.

#19999 - 10/10/03 10:31 PM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Under the hood:
- spare belt (s)
- plastic divided box (sits on top of the battery) with spare bulbs, fuses, short sections of wire, hose clamps, fuses, a few crimp connectors that fit the vehile wiring (merti-pak), small screwdrivers and spark plug gapping tool.
- small funnel with a couple rags stuffed inside
- The last: set of sparkplugs, plug wires, thermostat, radiator cap and radiator hoses which I replace every couple years or 50k miles before they wear out. The old parts still have some life left, enough to get to a store for a new one.
In the Cab/Trunk
- wrench roll with assortment of wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers.
- lenght of pipe to extend the lug wrench handle incase of stuck nuts.
- socket set, rachet and breaker bar which fits inside above pipe also.
- roll of duct tape and electrical tape
- bungee cords, chain and some S hooks and caribiner hooks as well as nylon straps.
- zip ties, gloves
- 12v compressor and tire patch kit
- WD40 and silicon lube
- cell phone charger and extra pigtail with battery clips (had a vecihle burn up all fusebale links once to I had no power for the cell phone, now I can clip it direct to the battery)
- jumper cables, small VOM
- mag lite flashlight
- spare batteries for above
- vehicle and auto transmission reapir manual.
- replaced compact spare with full size
Thats all I can remember, deleted my inventory sheet by mistake, will have to find my backup cd or re-inventory.

#20000 - 10/11/03 04:58 AM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Duct tape,tie wire,and W-D 40. You can fix anything! But seriously the most important thing is knowing your vehicle. The day of the shade tree mechanic is about over,but you can still look under the hood, change your own oil, and do basic maitenence. POOL

#20001 - 10/11/03 05:11 AM Re: Top Tools for Vehicle Preparedness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In addition to Torx drivers, you may want some square drive bits. I think I needed them to change out the taillight bulbs or something on my minivan. Look for a kit with a driver handle and an assortment of various driver bits in assorted sizes. I have one in each each tool box... handiest thing in there.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 637 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.