Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#199728 - 04/06/10 10:48 AM Re: Some Hiking Photos to share, Part 2 [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

We don't have parks with that level of regulation where I live. Except from houses and agriculture the whole country is basically one big unregulated park. Outside cultivated and populated areas you can walk and camp anywhere you like, no matter who owns the land. Legal limitations are about the environmental impact (no slashing, fishing or hunting without owners permission), the duration (two days per camp site) and some special rules to protect the owners economical interests.

This background gives me a slightly different set of gut reactions about "closing down" parts of a wilderness area. Of course I can't bring that attitude with me when I come as a guest to your beautiful part of the world... Violating rules just to satisfy my ego (and potentially put rescuers at risk looking for me in avalanche country) is not my idea of how visitors should behave. Abide by the rules or stay home.

Just to be clear here. Although the trails are 'closed", legally there is nothing the .gov/authorities can do to stop you from venturing out on these closed trails and into the back country as it is all on crown land (public owned.) If you so choose to disregard the trail closure advisory signs, you must be fully aware that help may not be forthcoming when you really need it the most...

That being said, 99.99% of the population do not have a problem with this and respect the closures so that they do not put themselves or anyone else at risk. You can probably deduce what happens with the remaining .01%.

John Lubbock

#199729 - 04/06/10 11:11 AM Re: Some Hiking Photos to share, Part 2 [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my experience, that .01 creates .90 of the "interesting" situations.

#199734 - 04/06/10 12:46 PM Re: Some Hiking Photos to share, Part 2 [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I guess the reasons for closing a trail are fairly reasonable and also clearly communicated. There are plenty of places without such restrictions if you want to explore the conditions the authorities want to safe-guard you against. I may not like the concept of "closing" a wilderness area, but I can see how that can be effective in keeping large numbers of people out of totally unnecessary mishaps. Including me, if I ever go there.

Do you know the reasons for the no-camping rule? Is it to lessen the environmental impact, channeling the stream of campers into other less vulnerable areas?

#199771 - 04/06/10 10:41 PM Re: Some Hiking Photos to share, Part 2 [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I guess the reasons for closing a trail are fairly reasonable and also clearly communicated. There are plenty of places without such restrictions if you want to explore the conditions the authorities want to safe-guard you against. I may not like the concept of "closing" a wilderness area, but I can see how that can be effective in keeping large numbers of people out of totally unnecessary mishaps. Including me, if I ever go there.

Do you know the reasons for the no-camping rule? Is it to lessen the environmental impact, channeling the stream of campers into other less vulnerable areas?

I agree, the closures are reasonable. If I want to disregard the signs, then that is my choice. Getting into predicament where I get hurt and require rescue (if at all), then maybe I will have my 15 minutes of fame on this forum with all the pleasentries that go with it such as being nominated for the "Darwin Awards" et al...

This google shot speaks volumes of the terrain in the back country here. Make no mistake, it is no place in winter for those who do not have complete survival gear, extensive back country and mountaineering experience.

As for visiting other areas without closures, yes you are correct I can go elsewhere which is often the case. On this day, the area was chosen due to it being close to home with only a 20 minute drive, and not to mention the great scenery. While we are there, we obey the trail signs...

John Lubbock

#199991 - 04/11/10 02:21 AM Re: Some Hiking Photos to share [Re: Teslinhiker]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Really nice pictures. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 588 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.