Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
In a survival situation, I would rather eat fish over a sugar laden snickers bar that only jacks up your insulin levels for a few minutes...

I read you, but there is more to it than just that....

1) When in trouble, you typically want that boost of energy. When you realize I'm lost, I'm totally exhausted and won't make it home tonight then sit down, relax, eat some of that snickers bar, have some water and THINK. It makes your head come together. Whatever course of action you decide you will be in a much better fashion to implement them.

2) Snickers contain nuts and stuff that will last longer than just the initial sugar rush.

3) You need some minimum carbohydrate intake to function. If the body reserves are depleted and you can't eat it, you really will feel miserable. More important, your ability to cope with the situation will be severely affected.

=========

The rant below not really apply to a short time survival episode, but not totally irrelevant.

I've never done this special force wilderness week thing and have never practiced going hungry for a week, so I try to find credible sources to back up my lack of experience. The Swedes has written an army manual for winter survival. In their survival courses they have tested different scenarios, and found that 500 kcal of carbohydrates each day was a minimum baseline for functioning for healthy young males. With no food what so ever, the dissyness, fatigue, reduced cognitive functions and vulnerability to freezing is so severe that it is very hard to function, particular in a cold environment. The body needs these 500 kcal to burn off the fat reserves. Without these 500 kcal, it starts to consume muscles to make carbs, which is a terrible and inefficient process that leaves you in a vulnerable state. Apparently, stay above the 500 kcal and you'll burn body fat much more efficient and the other symptoms are much reduced, particular from day 2 and onwards.

Cody Lundin writes something similar in his "98.6" book. I need to read that again, but gave it to my nephew...

And no, the issue of how to get those 500 kcal of carbs in a prolonged survival episode is not solved by a snickers bar.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/31/10 07:01 AM)