Thanks for the comments, now a few answers.

Camera--Canon S330. Thanks for the image praise Mamabear. This camera is a very small one that I specifically bought so I could always have it in my shirtpocket. Not the best in all areas, but handy and gives decent results.

Matchsafes vary but most are either K&M or the same design marketed by Silva USA (Johnson Camping).

Here are the ID's from left to right
Everdry, Chromed Brass, vintage 1950's, my Grandfathers
Agfa 120 roll film container, late 1960's
Plastic GI case, 1970's
K&M case, green domed compass, small diameter brass, 1st one, 1980's
K&M case, Silva flat blue compass, larger diameter brass, late 1980's
K&M case, Silva flat white compass, larger diameter brass, later 1980's
K&M case, Silva blue compass, bare aluminum, first series, late 1980's
Silva case, Silva compass, brass, vintage 2001
Silva case, Silva compass, anodized aluminum, vintage 2003

K&M Matchsafes can be had from Keith Lunders at K & M industries in Idaho at (208) 826-3447.

New screwcap Silva versions from Johnson Camping at:

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/product_information.html

The double O-ring models from Silva, either brass or anodized aluminum are not made anymore, but Keith still makes these. I have the screwtop Silva and it is also nice, but I prefer the double O-ring models.

Matchsafes are another one of my vices....Quality pieces like the original K&M design are perfect devices IMO. Keith invented the design and perfected the cord twist security closure on the plug. Silva marketing, in corporate unwisdom, emphasized the compass and completely ignored the cord twist mechanism. This confused cutomers so they decide to reintroduce the matchsafe with a screwcap.

If you get any of these, recent Strike Anywhere matches made by Diamond are about 3mm longer than they used to be. Matches MUST be trimmed to safely be stowed in these cases. This is true for K&M, Everdry, Silva new and old, GI, and old Marbles matchsafes.

Edited by Schwert (10/09/03 06:41 PM)