I think that there are a other variables in the striking of these matches.

The effective match strike is one that generates sufficient friction and pressure. With matches that require a specific striker there is a need for the chemicals to interact - pressure. The Jabbing provides friction under pressure but the pressure often is dispersed by the fracturing of the match-stick thus sending the head (sometimes the flaming head) flying off to the side and leaving the puzzled, frustrated survivor in the cold holding the broken end of the match.

My approach is to risk burning my first finger. I find that if I hold the match stick between second finger and thumb and then press the head against the striker with my first finger and drag the match accross the striker while putting pressure on the head of the match directly I successfully strike the match everytime (until I wear out the striker). By putting my finger on the chemical tip of the match and applying pressure that way I don't risk breaking the match stick. I do, however, risk burning my finger in the initial blaze of the match. I found that the practice and instinct to get my finger out of the way quickly was easier than learning to "jab-strike" the match without snapping the matchstick.

Just my $.02