Originally Posted By: TheSock
I went back to check if Starbucks are still doing the free tasters of Via (in the UK). Not only are they still doing it; but you can try a blind test against a ground coffee.
But wouldn't that involve going within 100yrds of a Starbucks?

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
The main ingredient in these Nescafe Instant Sachets is Sucrose then Glucose Syrup. The instant coffee content is only 10.6% by weight according to the ingredients list.
The main ingredient in the ones I use is milk powder. Then sugar, then vegetable oil, then lactose, then instant coffee. The proportion of coffee is about the same, though. That's partly because it's light. The normal instant coffee I make is 14g of sugar to 2.6g of coffee.

Quote:
They are also way, way to expensive.
That's part of why I keep them for emergencies, or when the convenience is worth it, rather than for every-day use. The actual price varies; they seem to have special offers several times a year, which is when I buy. The price I just checked in Asda's online store is £1 for 10 sachets, or 10p a drink (I guess around 15c?), which is way less than the 75c being advocated at the start of this thread. A 300g jar of instant coffee is £4, which is around 3.5p a drink, plus milk and sugar. So it's maybe twice as expensive, but even if I drank it all the time it'd only be 30p a day.

I don't mean to boast, but I'm now rich enough that I can splash out 15c on a drink occasionally.