The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198205 - 03/17/10 04:46 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: akabu]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I really liked an older True Temper I had that was made for the US Army. I ended up selling it to a collector.

Now I like the newer Ontario Knife Blackie Collins designed ones and if I was buying a new one I would likely look for one with the full knuckle guard (D handle). I find the handle design with those more comfortable, which is one of the things I didn't like with the rather square section plastic handles on the Ontario Knife machete.
http://www.ontarioknife.com/machetes.html

I like the lighter but longer style of blade too instead of the heavier versions. I find they swing easier and bite deeper into most wood.

#198206 - 03/17/10 04:54 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
On the other hand, I strongly suggest you avoid the Cold Steel machetes. Absolutely awful. You can make something better out of a lawn mower blade.

Quote:
Cold Steel, a marketer of edged tools made in Asia that steeps itself in macho cache and heavily caters to wannabe types,.

Just wondering what you guys are basing these comments on. Is it first hand experience or just from what you have heard ? I use a cold steel kukri machete and would absolutely swear by its performance. Its not fancy but it sure as hell cuts. Tough as nails too. And for 25 bucks how could you go wrong?

Please explain what a "wannabe type" is. wannabe what ?

Quote:
My old machete was a cheap no-brand that I bought approximately 10 years ago. It was carbon steel and survived my teen-age years and all of the abuse I could heap on it (including tumbleweed attacks, brush clearing, improper storage, breaking pavers (the back edge), being tossed into and around the bed of a truck with other heavy/metal objects, and even saw service on the levy breaking up pallets into stakes.)

Sounds to me like your old one was pretty dammed good. How long would anyone expect to get out of any other brand of machete under the abuse you put yours thru? Heck man, buy a couple more of these and you should be set.

#198217 - 03/17/10 10:23 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: Mac]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Check out the "Woodsman's Pal". It's a derivation of a machete, a brush hook, and a couple of other things. Pretty much a self contained survival tool. If it grows, this tool can drop it.

A Scout Leader had an army issue one many moons ago. I picked one up after I got out of the service and have been using it for odd jobs the past 10 years.

#198218 - 03/17/10 10:39 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: JBMat]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
There are videos of people testing machetes and knives on the web. Just clikc on the 'video' link on google then search.
The Sock

#198222 - 03/17/10 12:07 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: TheSock]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A lot of good info in this thread. A machete is on my list and I will use the info here as part of purchasing decision.

#198225 - 03/17/10 12:45 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Teslinhiker]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
@JBMat

that should probably be Woodman's Pal, no?
http://www.woodmanspal.com/index.html

Edited by BorkBorkBork (03/17/10 12:52 PM)

#198240 - 03/17/10 03:25 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: BorkBorkBork]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
@ BorkBorkBork

I stand (well sit) corrected. Still a great tool to have tho.

#198242 - 03/17/10 03:28 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Mac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mac
Just wondering what you guys are basing these comments on. Is it first hand experience or just from what you have heard ? I use a cold steel kukri machete and would absolutely swear by its performance.

Regrettably, my comments are from first-hand experience. I have a CS Heavy Machete and it is truly awful. It will not hold an edge and it flops around. I don't know, maybe I got one from a bad batch where they blew the heat treat.

I'm glad you like their kukri machete. I like the design but haven't bought one due to my previous bad experience.

#198246 - 03/17/10 04:19 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
Regrettably, my comments are from first-hand experience. I have a CS Heavy Machete and it is truly awful. It will not hold an edge and it flops around. I don't know, maybe I got one from a bad batch where they blew the heat treat.

Is that the flat nosed one?

If so, I have heard that particular model is indeed a POS. I never had that one, but the other models are well worth the money.

I have never heard anything good about the heavy model.

#198267 - 03/18/10 12:51 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Check out the "Woodsman's Pal". It's a derivation of a machete, a brush hook, and a couple of other things. Pretty much a self contained survival tool. If it grows, this tool can drop it.

The Woodsman's Pal is a handy tool. Even a bit more 'all-purpose' survival tool than the already very adaptable average machete. At, OMG they raised the price, used to be >$60, now $85, it is pricey. At that price it better be bloody well outstanding.

Thicker and heavier usually means better cutting on hard wood but tend to be more tiring to use. Thinner and lighter is easier to swing and is handier on light brush and softwoods. That isn't to say a machete can't be used on hardwoods. Some of the toughest wood on the planet come from places where machetes are the most common cutting tool. With patience and the right technique a machete will chop its way through anything softer than the steel.

That said many people who spend their time in hardwood forests, where light brush isn't an issue, or where trees are large find an axe more useful. Then again a machete tip can be filed sharp and fine and used for very delicate work, essentially being able to substitute for a pocketknife. Used to be some remote tribes each family group had a machete as their only metal tool. So it got used for everything from clearing land to preparing diner and delicate art work. Harder to do that with an axe.

I provided a link to the ones I was familiar with. I don't know anything about the CS Heavy Machete. Perhaps they got lazy on the quality of the steel or heat treatment thinking the thicker steel would make up for it. QC isn't always what it should be but, looking at the site, what do you want for $17.

It pays to try gear out and find out if it suits you. I've had people try a tool I got a lot of use out of tell me it was useless. Different strokes. Find what works for you.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.