Originally Posted By: widget

I really hate to see Les Stroud getting negative press over this persons lack of respect for the wilderness. I believe Les has always stressed safety, training and experience as a critical element of his survival portrayal on the Survivorman series.

On the other hand Bear Grylls makes taking risks seem "normal" for surviving the wilderness and it amazes me more people have not been hurt or killed trying to emulate his antics. Maybe they spend night in a local resort just like Bear does!

skills. Just practice in a safer area, with more backup equipment and preferably not alone!

I am a big Stroud fan, and I agree with you. He is very cautious, and anyone emulating him would have to know that. If nothing else is gleaned from his show, its that survival is difficult at best. The episode where Stroud was in the desert holed up in an old truck, his life seemed to ebb low, and we were worried about him. On the other hand, Grylls show is closer to 'Fear Factor meets Gladiator' than it is to Survivorman. His antics are so outrageous that I can't imagine anyone trying those stunts in the field.