I'm rehashing and thinking aloud based on this information from the media:

Quote:
“He'd have his emergency metal blanket, he'd have his special utility knife set – it's a $100 fancy knife. And he would go with an axe,” Mr. Watt said. “He would go with stuff to light a fire, magnesium stick, basic stuff you'd need to get a fire going, to get a camp going. Some fishing stuff.”

A space blanket has close to zero insulation. A space blanket around you is warmer than just your clothes - but not anywhere warm enough for a prolonged period of time. You need to augment that with extra insulation (your sleeping bag, vegetation, ... ) and a heat source. Without a heat source (i.e. fire) you will get wet (condensation), and it is highly unlikely that your clothes and sleeping bag will be warm enough when wet.

Equipped like that you put all your eggs into one basket. You rely exclusively on TWO components:
1) Your ability to make fire.

2)The ability to make a camp site that works in REALLY though conditions. (Wet snow/sleet is absolutely the worst and toughest conditions. Dry cold is much easier). Your shelter must be dry, and positioned in a way so the fire can be effective to keep you warm.

If either of those fails - particular the fire part - your trip has just turned into your worst nightmare. And that is assuming all your other clothing actually WORKS for those conditions.

I won't speculate about his abilities or if he knew what risks he exposed himself to. But if he just went out there with a space blanket, cutlery and fire implements there is no doubt that he would die if the fire failed him.

Could be wet, soaked wood. Or it could be an injury that left him unable to make a camp site. Or it could be plain, old hypothermia leaving him unable to make camp - that can be a really sneaky killer if you don't watch out. Or a combination. In my view, he probably died because he put too much reliance on his ability to lit a fire no matter what. A little more humility and forethought would perhaps mean he would bring some emergency backup (sleeping bag, emergency beacon - or even a cell phone), or make a trip into an area where he could self extract more easily. Without a safety net and relying solely on one factor (fire) in brutal conditions - that factor fails, you die. Simple and brutal.

On the plus side, he died doing something he really loved. He did not expose others to foolish risks. His death is sad and most likely totally unnecessary, but he died taking a risk doing something he loved. I can sympathize with that.