I would not be surprised to learn that the rescuers involved were not to blame for failing to get to the needy person. These days a lot of times rules that sort of make sense during normal times prevent people from being a little creative now and then. Its not unheard of for breaking such a rule to get one into a lot of hot water.

Quote:
Now Pittsburgh officials have ordered an investigation and reforms of the city's emergency services system as Mitchell's case highlighted key shortcomings:

• Details of Mitchell's calls weren't passed on from one 911 operator to another as shifts changed, so each call was treated as a new incident.

Where were the supervisors and managers of the 911 center while this was going on? Did this violate a procedure? Since the story does not say so, I am guessing the 911 operators did what they have been told to do.

Quote:
• Twice, ambulances were as close as a quarter-mile from Mitchell's home but drivers said deep snow prevented the vehicles from crossing a small bridge over railroad tracks to reach him. Mitchell was told each time he'd have to walk through the snow to the ambulances; in neither case did paramedics walk to get him.

• Once, an ambulance made it across the bridge and was at the opposite end of the block on the narrow street where the couple lived — a little more than a football field's length. Again, paramedics didn't try to walk.

The story says that when told to walk, the guy cancelled the call.

Quote:
"We failed this person," said Michael Huss, the city's public safety director.

To be sure, Mitchell's ordeal unfolded as the storm dumped nearly two feet of snow on Pittsburgh; the 911 system was swamped with more than twice as many calls as usual and overall emergency response was hampered.

Regardless of how deep the snow was, Huss said it was unacceptable that paramedics didn't walk to help Mitchell. If they had, Huss believes Mitchell may have survived.

"... You get out of that damn truck and you walk to the residence," Huss said. "That's what needed to happen. We could have carried him out."

Why don't you go carry him out Mr. Huss? Santimonious ^^^^^. I am pretty sure the rules of the forum prohibit me saying what I think about this guy.

Quote:
The six paramedics on the three ambulances could be disciplined, Huss said. He declined to say what that might be.

Paramedics or firefighters will now be required to go to a caller's door.

"Everyone needs to get a response," Huss said Thursday.

And as the guy supposedly in charge, you are the one who failed this citizen if anyone did. If one ambulance crew does something, that might be that crew's fault, but if three seperate crews do the same thing, that is the system's fault, and that would be you Mr. Huss. Man up and resign.

<added> The story mentions the call was never coded as an emergency. its entirely possible that it is against the rules to abandon their vehicle in such cases.

Edited by ILBob (03/01/10 08:51 PM)

Bob