Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Todd W
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Some soap that people like I found:
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Free-and-Clear/Dishwasher-Detergent

Septic Safe
Grey Water Safe

This summer we may finish the gray water project, and plumb the dish washer into it!

I tried the seventh generation stuff and it wasn't getting the dishes clean with a fairly new dishwasher and city water.

Interesting, how dirty were the dishes you put in? Fresh from the table, scraped, pre-washed?

I scrape but don't pre-wash, wife pre washes, so they were in both ways. had to go back to the old detergent.

#196911 - 03/01/10 04:47 PM Re: Efficient Dishwashers [Re: TheSock]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: TheSock
I've switched to paper plates and plastic cultery for the cats food and am considering it for us too. No soap manufactured and water heated versus more trees cut down.
The Sock

We use paper plates occasionally.

#196917 - 03/01/10 06:16 PM Re: Efficient Dishwashers [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
To tell the truth, there isn't really much difference between a septic tank and greywater pit, except the greywater pit dispenses the water into the upper section of soil where the roots of the EDIBLE FRUIT SHRUBS can use the water and feed on the nutrients, and in the septic system the nitrogen drains out into the nearest water source.

"... once we go 'perm' I'd LOVE to tie my shower, and dish washer into this with the washing machine that would get all the water except the kitchen sink and toilet which is perfect."

Get hold of Art Ludwig's book The NEW Create an Oasis with Grey Water, and check out his ideas on a branched system, draining the different sources of greywater to different areas of your yard. Very clever!

Why not the water from the kitchen sink???

Sue

#196918 - 03/01/10 06:17 PM Re: Efficient Dishwashers [Re: TheSock]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: TheSock
I've switched to paper plates and plastic cultery for the cats food
The Sock

Good on ya, mate. I have failed in getting the pets to use cutlery, but they are more than happy to eat paper plates-this is could solve the problem way better than my experiment in putting their food on the floor without benefit of dishes-

#196927 - 03/01/10 07:16 PM Re: Efficient Dishwashers [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Susan
To tell the truth, there isn't really much difference between a septic tank and greywater pit, except the greywater pit dispenses the water into the upper section of soil where the roots of the EDIBLE FRUIT SHRUBS can use the water and feed on the nutrients, and in the septic system the nitrogen drains out into the nearest water source.

"... once we go 'perm' I'd LOVE to tie my shower, and dish washer into this with the washing machine that would get all the water except the kitchen sink and toilet which is perfect."

Get hold of Art Ludwig's book The NEW Create an Oasis with Grey Water, and check out his ideas on a branched system, draining the different sources of greywater to different areas of your yard. Very clever!

Why not the water from the kitchen sink???

Sue

Hi Sue - The idea is to not worry about filling the septic. Our soil report from septic install was ALL CLAY, thus we have poor drainage. I`m sure it was made to account for that, but I would prefer to be safe than sorry smile

Funny you mention that book it's been on my wish list @ amazon for a few months now. I`ll have to get it, and check it out. Due to how our backyard is setup (sloped) it would be rather hard to have the grey water for the garden w/out crossing/digging around the existing leach fields. From the late 1800's we have an old ditch I plan to run the grey water too after the rock/sand pit it's dropped into, and that ditch will feed my someday to be created pond at the bottom of the hill.

Oh, the planning!

#197804 - 03/12/10 01:45 AM Re: Efficient Dishwashers [Re: Todd W]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I get the dishes done quickly and efficiently when my wife does them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 580 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.