In my office I keep a flashlight and a few light sticks to navigate the building interior if we lose power (drop the light sticks on the floor to lead folks towards the outer exits). I'm a floor fire warden so I need to clear my part of the building before exiting in a drill or fire. There's also a little bandolier kit they give us with mostly useless things - there's yet another reflective vest I'm supposed to wear, I think its mostly to mark my corpse after smoke overcomes me. I keep a whistle in my desk drawer, a small FAK in the corner of my office, laerdahl mask (might need that), a stocked get home bag next to it. I also have a blender - I recently had my 20 years at the company, I tell the younger fellas its for mixing up margaritas at 11 and 3 (actually its for mixing some shakes for my diet/exercise program).

One thing I seldom do it park under our building in the garage, always in a surface parking lot - I'd really like to reach my car in an emergency, our circa 1990s building should survive the shake, but no way would I go underneath it afterwards.

My car trunk is stocked for my work, volunteer work, and peace of mind. A bag of extra cold and wet clothing, some reflective garb, a hardhat, a ball cap, reflective road markers, glovesx2, protective eyewearx2, N95 mask (the 3M kind that seals tight aroung mouth and nose); a Red Cross reflective vest, a DAT turnout bag with forms, debit cards etc, a shelter turnout bag with 24 hour stuff (edibles, water, stuff to open a shelter), a bag of Red Cross and Disney stuffed animals, some comfort kits for folks burned out of their homes; a full disaster FAK with enough kerlix, tape, 4x4s etc etc to treat 60 people, a smaller trauma bag tailored to treat accident victims (stop alot of bleeding until pros arrive, one chest seal, one tourniquet); a wool blanket, a z-rest pad, a nylon tarp to protect from the rain, a foot air pump, some tools and tire chains (in season) and a can or two of that stuff you spray in a tire to stop up a leak; and a daypack with enough things in it to help me get home, typically 7 miles from work to my doorstep. Flashlights up the yin yang. A crowbar of course. It all fits in the rear compartment of a Prius. I really don't feel like detailing all the stuff in my car, things like leather gloves in the center console, nitrile gloves and eye protection in the door pockets, those nice seat belt cutters to help get me or someone out of their car, etc; suffice to say I build my kits based on the good advice of Mr. Ritter and alot of the wiser folks in this forum.

Edit 2/28: I forgot the crowbar in my office - if the door is closed, I want to get out. Locally doors got stuck even after the Nisqually quake.

Edited by Lono (02/28/10 03:25 PM)