Originally Posted By: Streamside
Got to noodling on this tonite. Was reading a couple of the threads about gear. I clearly understand that a lot of the posters on this forum are experienced and knowledgeable beyond anything I will ever achieve. I on the other hand be your average joe. Some interest over the years in survival topics, some camping experience, heck I even watch TV shows on survival smile . I have some appropriate gear but not much. Some money for it, but not much.

So let me get to the point. Taking a scenario of urban survival, what 25 questions would you nominate to test an individual's knowledge on said topic? Would you prefer a yes/no, true/false, or essay type format? My own thoughts are that a test should reflect the time critical nature of survival situations. In other words the test should be rapid fire. Not too much "thinking" allowed. Fast, instinctive, reactive responses. Bing bam boom. 2 minutes or 5 minutes, it's all done. The real world situation isn't going to allow for "higher level thought processes". Gut reaction is good. Right? The test would be a way of reinforcing good concepts along with it being a learning experience. So taking the urban scenario what are your test questions? Here are a couple of mine:

1. Your at work. Where are your food sources, water sources, and shelter?
2. Describe 3 sources of fuel for fire in your automobile?
3. From your child's school, how many routes can you take to get to a more (chose one - rural environment/urban environment)?
4. Name 5 commonly agreed upon survival items to keep in the house?
5. Name 3 ways to communicate your location to rescue personnel in aircraft?

I think you are making a basic assumption that is probably a poor one, if not completely wrong. IMO, the most important thing in an emergency situation of any kind is to think before doing. Now sometimes you won't get that chance. But even if the house is on fire and you need to get out, you can afford to take five or ten seconds to think first before doing something in a panic.

Most survival situations are not time critical. If you are lost in the woods the last thing in the world you need to be doing is trying to make a quick decision when you would be better off making camp and getting some sleep and figuring out what to do in the morning after a good rest and the panic has subsided and you are able to think more clearly.

BTW, you mispeeled "you're". smile

Bob