The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195347 - 02/08/10 03:33 PM private sales on ETS
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have been on this forum for quite some time, but I never really noticed that we do not have a Wanted to buy/sell/trade section. For private sales, between members. Am I missing something, or is there a reason for this? I have equipment that I would like to get rid of, and I think that some folks on here may be interested in it-but, the only place I see to put stuff is in the paid ads section. Mods? Anyone? I feel sort of dumb asking the question, and am just wondering if this is something that we just dont do?

#195358 - 02/08/10 04:42 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: oldsoldier]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I like swap blankets that other places do when you are there in person, you can inspect the goods immediately. I'm not a proponent of selling used items on this forum. I'm not really keen on trading items either. I think its a good way to start bad blood.

Some of the people here know an enormous amount about steel, for example. If they are sold/traded something that is made of crappy carbon steel, simply because the giver honestly didn't know better... well... if you start waving that caveat emptor flag some people would just feel burned and leave.

I don't want to see that happen.

#195363 - 02/08/10 05:34 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: clarktx]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
There is some trading from time to time in the campfire section. There was some ruling on private sales here on ETS, which I can't remember at the moment.

#195368 - 02/08/10 06:15 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: oldsoldier]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've thought about this quite a bit, and to be honest, one of the key reasons that we don't have a "member classified" section is that it's a pain in the butt to monitor and manage, not to mention there's a whole lot of other places - say ebay or craigslist - to post stuff like that.

Not only that, there's the whole question of what happens when a sale goes bad (and there's always a sale that goes bad eventually....I'll tell you one day about a gun I bought online that arrived with the SERIAL NUMBER ETCHED OFF....).

I certainly don't want to get in the middle of that.

Also would be the issue of pricing. There's a free-for-all on Craigslist, and that's good and bad - good if you have stuff you want to sell and don't want to pay anything, bad if you think that the possibility of your buyer showing up at your home in a windowless white van while wearing clown makeup and only an adult-sized cloth diaper would be disturbing in any way.

On the other hand, on eBay, they generally keep the psychos at bay, but you end up kicking 10 to 12% of your sale price to various fees.

It might be worth it for ETS if we were able to get, say, $5.00 per ad, and it runs until sold or withdrawn by the seller, and both buyer and seller were willing to forgo any anonymity and were willing to be "sponsored in" as sellers by others.

Basically, I would only allow a few people I "know" here on ETS to sell, and that's because I know them outside of this forum, and I'd vouch for them. No offense to others here, of course.

I'd be willing to discuss further, as the forum software we have actually supports a sort of classified ad scheme.

#195370 - 02/08/10 06:28 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If it can't be done for everyone, then it probably should be skipped. That way there would be no appearance of preferential treatment due to who knows who. It could come back to haunt the ETS forums in a bad way.

#195372 - 02/08/10 06:42 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: MartinFocazio]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

thanks Martin, thats the answer I was looking for. I know exactly what you mean about a sale going bad-has happened to me as well. I flew to CA once to "correct" a bad sale-well, I was travelling there for other reasons, but decided to pay a visit to the parents of a kid posing as someone else. But, thats a different story....
I would support a certain percentage of a sale going back to ETS-I dont think a hard dollar amount would be fair, simply for the fact that someone sells something for $30 vs $200, its a bigger hit. But, knowing that the money goes back either here, or to the ETS foundation, is fine. However, there would have to be a way to regulate it on your end-not everyone is honest, and, although this is by FAR the most friendly forum I have ever had the pleasure of belonging to, I am sure that not everyone here has the best intentions in mind-thats simply the way of the world, sad as it is. Honesty only goes so far.
Here's another idea, one I have seen on other forums-require a donation from the seller to ETS prior to posting an ad-so long as there is a way for someone to check it, they can post the ad in a section, then make a donation, and, once the donation clears, you can publish it. Then, maybe a minimum donation of $5 would be appropriate. Thats one way around it.
These are, of course, just ideas. I'd like to think that the vast majority of members of this forum are good upstanding people-sure, we argue & dont always see eye to eye with everyone, but a different opinion doesnt make one a bad person. With all the wisdom & maturity on this board, I am sure there is a solution the majority could agree upon & go forward with.

#195378 - 02/08/10 07:31 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: oldsoldier]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I like the idea myself but like Clark said, a bad sale could leave a lot of egos bruised. And in this litigious day could be bad news for ETS as well. I would like to think everyone on the forum now would have enough common sense and politeness to make something like that work. If I sold something to someone and they didn’t like it, full refund (less shipping probably), no questions asked. No harm, no foul. Unfortunately, word of a website where people can sell stuff, maybe at a rate less than the fees on evil-bay, would get around and before you know it the forum would be filled with recent joiners plying their wares. And who knows where the forum would end up after that.

And Clark, if I bought a knife made of crappy carbon steel, I believe I would rethink my status as a steel know-it-all. laugh

#195379 - 02/08/10 07:43 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: Mark_F]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Mark, you have some good points as well-I have accepted returns myself, once, when the product wasnt what the person wanted, and I would expect the same. Of course, there is another side to-buyer beware. But I, like the majority of people here, would likely trust some of the more active members more readily than someone who joined, say, a month ago-simply because I am more familiar with them. Ultimately, the decision would be up to the buyer & seller-leaving feedback is a way to limit issues with bad transactions, and works well on other forums. There is ALWAYS a chance that you get screwed-on forums, on public auction sites-heck, it happens at physical stores too. Bottom line is, buyer beware.
Again though, this was just a suggestion. I really think its something we could benefit from-after all, I am sure the majority of us have items that we no longer use, or didnt work for us, or simply have upgraded from. Me, I could likely outfit a medium sized boy scout troop-most of it just doesnt get used at all, and I'd like it to go to someone who will get some use out of it.

#195392 - 02/08/10 11:03 PM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: oldsoldier]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I do believe that within the last 12 months there was an issue of someone spreading some kind of bad blood about a sale and slinging accusations, and such. All of this from another board! I do not remember the details, but probably best to keep that kind of stuff to another site that specializes in that kind of thing. Here, we specialize in personal preparedness!

#195408 - 02/09/10 07:23 AM Re: private sales on ETS [Re: ki4buc]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I like the idea of a yearly fee say $12 or $15/year to sale here, it would be considered donation to ETS.

Then you get maybe 2 posts in the sale-forum maximum at any one given time. This would make sure members kept track of their items, and removed once they were no longer for sale or sold.

Due to the size of this group I don't think we'd need itrader or anything like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 322 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.