Thanks for all the feedback. So far I'm taking out the first aid book and quik-clot, and possibly th eyewash. That brings me down to 26oz, a significant improvement. For simplicity sake, I may replace all the band-aids with knuckle band aids(the most versatile kind), even though that wouldn't save any weight.

I'll keep looking into a lighter case, and I may take the suggestion to use several zip-lock bags inside of a sil-nylon bag. It would be much less convenient but it would be much lighter than the current case.

I'm definitely not cutting back on any of the blister items, and I may even add more. I almost never get blisters on the trail, but then again I'll be covering more miles each day than I ever have before. I like SAM splints but it would be redundant, I have more than enough supplies to improvise either a rigid or soft splint.

Just to clarify due to a previous comment, much of the trail will not have cell-phone reception, though I don't see how cell reception has any bearing on the contents of the kit. I'm still researching the trail, but I know that much of the beginning goes deep into desert areas, with lots of pointy things, snakes, scorpions, etc. I plan on being very cautious and doubt I will get stung by anything, but I still think its good to be prepared for it.

I will be traveling with a hiking partner, and the FAK will be part of the group gear that we will be splitting up. This partly justifies carrying more quantities of certain items. Even half the weight of the kit is still close to a pound per person, which I'd like to get a bit lower.