Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#194859 - 02/01/10 10:33 PM I am a proud uncle today!
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Let me give a little background. I went into the army 3 weeks after my 18th birthday. I stayed on active duty for 3 years, and did 9 in the national guard-3 of those deployed. I finally got out in 2005 after some bad experiences (I had a couple of breaks in service, which explains why the math doesnt add up). I have been involved with the military, in one form or another, for over half my life. I still have friends that are in, and some deployed-I help out back home with their families, and with anything they need while they are gone. My brother joined 2 years after I did, and is retiring next year. My mother, bless her heart, spent many, many sleepless nights with her two sons deployed, or training, or, in our cases, simply being ourselves smile. I did my whole stint in the infantry; my brother was infantry, then airborne, finally getting into 3/75 rangers for a few years, until he broke both his legs on a training jump. After that, he went reserve, but was full time reserve, guaranteeing a paycheck. He helped train troops before going to Iraq, and was integral in the battle of Fallujah-he was interviewed several times on CNN for what he was doing. He also participated in the infamous Blackhawk Down fiasco-he was one of the people who went in to try & rescue the boys who were on the mission. He also spent a considerable amount of time in Africa, as well as being personal security to dignitaries in S. Korea, Italy, and Iraq. Me, I had a relatively boring tour-I was deployed during the first Gulf War, but never saw combat, due to the war ending as we were enroute. I have been fortunate to participate in a LOT of training, but only 2 other deployments; one to NJ after 9/11, as part of a security/anti terrorist task force, and the second time going to Gitmo in 2003-2004, as part of the security force there. Like I stated, between both of us, my mother went gray prematurely, I am sure.
My oldest nephew, now 17, grew up listening to the stories we have told. As he got older, when he started to show a real interest, we set the record straight. We told him what military life was REALLY like,the good AND the bad, and how proud both of us were to serve our country. My nephew & myself have had long talks about this-what its like, the training, the downtime, the pay, all that. And, I drilled into his head that, although the GI Bill is a GREAT benefit, you serve for love of country. I told him I had seen a few people in my short career say they only signed up for college. I have always told him that, for me, there was a desire to serve. And, once I took that oath, I knew I had made the right choice. I was there for my country-everything else was secondary.
Well, this afternoon, he texted me; he wants to talk to a recruiter. I called him immediately. We talked for about 45 minutes, about what he wants to do, where he plans to go, and what he could expect. I told him that I will go with him to look into it, and, when my brother comes home on leave in April, we can all go down there and, if he still wants to go in, we will make sure he is all set & doesnt get screwed. He is looking to go into combat engineers-we both steered him away from the infantry-not because its a bad choice, but because he isnt sure if he wants to make a career, and his interests lie in plumbing.
Well, this went very long, but I am VERY proud right now!

#194879 - 02/01/10 11:52 PM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: oldsoldier]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Well, that's a wonderful bit of information - I would like to also say, 'proud Uncle' that we are proud of you, your brother and nephew and the whole family! It's the dedication and service of folks like you that allows all of us the luxury of having the lives we do.

Carry on and please tell your nephew we are proud of him too - you and all your clan stay safe!

#194890 - 02/02/10 01:03 AM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: pforeman]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Congratulations.

#194904 - 02/02/10 02:08 AM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: oldsoldier]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
AAnd indeed you should be!

Reminds me that my som told me that he regarded the hikes and overnights I took him on as extremely strenuous and demanding - at least until he wound up in the 82nd Airborne...

I never made him carry a SAW (didn't have those when I was in, but I gather they are quite heavy).

#194927 - 02/02/10 04:40 AM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: hikermor]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Awsome congrats sir.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#194931 - 02/02/10 05:06 AM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: oldsoldier]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Proud with reason to be!!! Semper Paratus !!!

#195049 - 02/03/10 08:24 PM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: wildman800]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your and your family's service.

#195055 - 02/03/10 10:34 PM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: Mark_F]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
We are going saturday so he can see his options. My brother wants to be present, so we will wait until April to get him all signed up-besides, it will give him time to study for the ASVAB (if its still called that)

#195071 - 02/04/10 01:55 AM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: oldsoldier]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I'm happy to hear this. More people need to show an active interest in their extended families. Legacies are very important.

#195083 - 02/04/10 12:53 PM Re: I am a proud uncle today! [Re: clarktx]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Good for you! And good for HIM to have someone who will listen carefully and precisely to what the recruiter says and will ensure it's put in writing before anybody signs anything.

"Recruiter speak with forked tongue. They split your tongue when you graduate from Recruiter school." (Said by my C.O. who'd been one)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 705 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Michael2
Today at 04:38 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.