I'm not familiar with Pertex, but that doesn't mean anything as I haven't purchased raingear in quite sometime but, it seems like nowadays every company that makes rain gear has its own waterproof/breathable laminate so you pretty much have to buy something like Gore-Tex, with some other name. I look for things on sale. There always seems to be something that somebody bought too much of and they have to unload it so that they can buy a bunch of junk that they’ll have to put on sale at the end of the next season, so I try to take advantage of that. I also know that I’m a pretty consistent XL so I can buy from places like http://www.sierratradingpost.com or another company that buys up stuff that other people want to get rid of. (Just make sure that you are buying close outs not 2nds.)
Having said that have a Solstice “Backpacker” that has one of those funky laminates, but it has a double zipper up front, pit zips, and adjustable cuffs. My wife bought me a Columbia windbreaker (remember the ubiquitous windbreaker) that stuffs into its pocket. It’s coated nylon and the vents stink, so I sweat like a racehorse in heat but it’ll work in a pinch. Finally, before a raft trip a couple years ago I bought my wife and my-self a Red Ledge jacket and pants set. They were coated nylon, but VERY reasonable in price. They had pit zips and vents and stuffed into their own stuff sacks that were about the size of a pair of socks. Mine did fine but my wife’s blew out. We sent it back with no problem.
Hope this helps,
Biscuits