I guess each individual/team must handle equipment loan in a different fashion, based upon their personal philosophy of being prepared. I can also see your point of view in the value of teaching preparedness lessons during training. However, my fellow members of our team are my family, we depend upon each other in life threatening situations. While the team has now been in existence for over 12 years and we have a fair amount of team equipment, many of us who started early with the team purchased much of our own equipment at a time when funding was minimal. When we are on a rescue, I view my personal equipment as well as everyone else’s the common property of the team, it is there for the rescue. Yes, I have lost, had damaged and have had to replace personal items at considerable expense, but we all consider it an acceptable risk. Everyone on the team at one time or another has had to borrow and loan gear/food/water/etc.; it is just the way we do things. No way is right or wrong, just another way of looking at things. Pete