I am unsure of the Appleseed events, so will not comment.

As for our local range, we have come up with a bi-weekly 22 shoot at 50 yards using the USBRA 50 yard targets. They are very competitive targets, to say the least, and should make for some fine shooting. Open sights won't be of much help on this one, but anyone with a telescopic sight on their 22 should have a chance at cutting an x. I know of some guys using Anshutz actioned 22s with 40x power sights that will still miss the x, and they are great marksmen otherwise. A little breeze is all it takes.

That may sound too competitive for some, but last years 50 yard competitions on a target that was less than an inch square yielded a dozen finalists that had to come back the following week for a shoot off. It seems a bit too exclusive, but it is open class, so it is to be expected. I intend to propose some restricted class competition later in the year so people with a stock gun and iron sights can have some competitive fun as well.