Thanks, I'm familiar with the Appleseed project, in fact I ordered a sling from them for the rifle I've been writing about. I'm planning on taking my girlfriend to one soon to help introduce her to rifle shooting.

Of course she'll want her own rifle before then...;^)

It never ends.

Meanwhile back at the design lab, I found what may be the perfect case to slip into the stock, some reading glass cases I found at the local 99cents store. They even come with reading glasses! They're plastic slip together tubes, I took the pocket clip off and sealed the resulting hole with some silicone. They fit just about perfectly with some room left to wrap some tape around each one.

The current plan is to attach a leash made out of some 3/32" mini-paracord that I got from County Comm to each case, I'll then attach the other end to the plate that I mounted into the stock. This will allow me to simply drop each case down into the stock and easily retrieve them. One will be a mini survival kit the other will hold 20 rounds of ammunition and a tiny wrapped piece of synthetic brillo type pad for cleaning as recommended by Leigh in an earlier post. I'm going to put a small bag of dessicant in that one as well, to keep the moisture down and also to keep the ammo from rattling around.

I also picked up a nice stainless steel screw and washer to use to attach the buttplate.

And while I was out shopping, I stopped in and picked up the latest acquisition to the armory. A like new but used Marlin 1894C lever action rifle in .357 magnum. Got it for about $200 less than a brand new one and it included a nice strap and a soft case. Solid wooden stock so I won't be dropping any ammo or other stuff down into it.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen