Also do you want hiking boots ? Hunting boots? Pac boots, etc ? This also will determine which type of boot.

I use these when the snow gets high and I have to get wood, or taket he dog out, or go on an ATV ride smile
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/8572,75327_Kamik-Norway-100-Pac-Boots-For-Men.html

I paid $40, and so far they are well worth it.

I would not want to walk more than maybe 1/2 mile in them... they are HEAVY and not for long walks, but for riding or slipping on quick to go outside for a lil chore they work great.

I also got the Cabelas Cowboy boot closeout, they have thinsulate and are leather and were $19.95 normally $79.95 they are not 100% water proof, I believe they leak around the seam but for $20 I got 3 pair and am more than happy with them for light snow, and muck. I plan to seam seal, and snoseal them.

I have Thinsulate in my Georgia boots too, I can tell they are warmer than non-insulated, they are also stiched in so they don't move around. I also have them in some sorels... thinsulate works for me, but how much determines how much you got.