Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#19157 - 09/16/03 12:04 PM Radios Grundig vs. Sony
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I have my eyes on these particular models. I can't really see the difference between them. Can anyone help me? They will be used for camping, kayaking, long winter nights in the mountains, work (when nothing is happening) and during travel. My original idea was to go small with Sony but maybe bigger radio (or other radio) has a better reception.

Sony vs Grundig

Thanks,

Matt

#19158 - 09/16/03 12:46 PM Re: Radios Grundig vs. Sony
Anonymous
Unregistered

Matt:

The major difference I see right of the bat is that the Sony has analog tuning and the GRundig has digital tuning. If you are going to be a casual listener looking for the major SW broadcasters then go with the Grundig. If you are a hardcore listener who wants to search out new stations then go with the Sony. The only other big difference I see is that the Sony may have more bands than the Grundig (I can't tell from the literature).

Both companies make great products so it just boils down to personal preference.

Chris

#19159 - 09/16/03 01:35 PM Re: Radios Grundig vs. Sony
Marie Offline

The Grundig has a great reputation. I tried out both the Grundig Yacht Boy 400 Grundig Short-Wave/AM-FM Portable Radio and the Grundig G2000A, I found that the Yacht Boy 400 was superior in reception and definitely worth the extra money.

We also bought several Grundig Mini 100 PE AM/FM/ Shortwave Radios for the cars and for traveling. With those, we added the portable antenna (it is a wire that curls up into a case and extends when used). The extra antenna made a HUGE differnece in reception and at Radio Shack it was only $10 (item 278-1374).

#19160 - 09/16/03 05:05 PM Re: Radios Grundig vs. Sony
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Matt
I bought the Sony about 4 years ago as a travel radio and am very happy with it! I always bring it with me when ever I go travelling.

In the past it has accompanied me on a three month backpacking/cycling trip from Tierra del Fuego to Toronto. It worked in very low temperatures and put up with a few knocks. Also a few trips to Thailand and Mexico in my rucksack which I don't hesitate to sit on/throw around. More recently it came in very useful when I cycled 2400 km across the Nullarbor plain in Australia - I was camping alone for the first time so it was excellent company and (nearly) drowned out the sound of Dingoes scratching around the tent! Survived in my panniers on some pretty bumpy roads.

My radio came in a stout cardboard box that is still in one piece and very protective. The flip up panel has not become loose or wobbly. The alarm is loud and useful. The best part is the speaker - Sony really went for it and installed a top quality unit that makes the radio sound much bigger than it really is - not just loud but excellent reproduction. When tuned in it is not tinny or scratchy at all.

The two AA batteries it runs on last for ages. The only slight drawback to the Sony is that the LCD is powered by a separate coin cell that lives in the flip up bit, if it goes you lose the clock and alarm.

I paid about £60 ($90-ish?) four years ago. Expensive but worth it. I have seen a more up to date version with an LCD tuner (like the Grundig). More of a power drain IMHO.

Sorry to go on but I really like my Sony!

Hope this helps;)

#19161 - 09/17/03 12:24 AM Re: Radios Grundig vs. Sony
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I've been very pleased with the Sangean DT300VW myself (http://www.sangean.com/pocket.html)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 12:39 AM
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
bacpacjac
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 09:56 PM
When you get lost hiking in WA, how much does it c
by Doug_Ritter
07/18/24 08:31 PM
Yikes...
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:04 PM
Idiot and Ill-Prepared
by Doug_Ritter
07/17/24 03:17 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.