Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Susan
Hikermor, expense is in the eye of the beholder. The prices at Cabelas and REI make me cringe. I could no more afford a $95 backpack or a $300 sleeping back than I could fly to the moon by flapping my arms.

But overall, I still maintain that SAR people have a lot invested in their equipment.

Sue

Not to hijack the thread, but I have talked to people from both Cabellas and REI and they even are like "I have no idea why we charge so much." One of the guys at REI said "Just go online to Oregon Mountain Co-Op and buy this bag there. It's 70 bucks cheaper." I did.

I've only met one person who has ever gotten anything out of REI and that's the only person I know who bought the REI Club Card thing. He's also one of those guys who drives a Subaru Outback, dresses like he hikes and camps...but never hikes or camps. Ever. It's a "Trend" thing to clothe yourself in REI where he lives.

I became an REI member in 1981, when there was only one and you could always find a bargain. I still buy at REI, now that there is on near me in Michigan, but usually clearance, sale and unique items. They do stand behind their products. They replaced, no questions asked, the REI branded messenger bag I'd carried almost a year when one of the carry loops started unraveling. And I've been wearing the same REI brand fleece jacket for over 6 years, with little sign of wear even though it gets hard use. Cabela's too, I've gotten some great bargains on shirts, shoes....