Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191159 - 12/17/09 07:34 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
If what we are seeing is the tail end of the rocket (accounting for the bright spiral and all the pretty colors ... oooooooh) and that rocket did, in fact, malfunction then perhaps the expanding dark spot is some sort of smoke expelled by the rockets exhaust, hence we get the dark expanding spot instead of the bright spirally light (I watched the video again ... pretty lightsssss). Probably is exaggerated by eyes playing tricks and going from relative bright to relative dark (possibly further exaggerated by the electronic device as well). Then again maybe it's an evil villain opening a portal to our world from an alternate universe. He should be leading his triumphant army through town at any minute. wink

#191162 - 12/17/09 08:02 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
It's a russian missile launch gone bad.

#191279 - 12/18/09 11:32 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I told you the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) would create a black hole. We are all doomed...

A better explanation:
http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2009/12/a_great_example_of_a_model.php

Fairly simple explanation that doesn't reference exotic notions of physics or capabilities and given the Russians openly admit that it is one of their rockets screwing up I'm inclined to think that the issue is pretty much settled.

Then again there will always be those who will want to claim exotic 'matrix weapons' and weather control devices, devices that have been rumored, but never actually shown, to exist, are to blame. I'm pretty sure that we could find someone with a religious bent that would claim that it is 'a sign from God'.

#191286 - 12/19/09 12:11 AM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
A better explanation:
http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2009/12/a_great_example_of_a_model.php

Fairly simple explanation that doesn't reference exotic notions of physics or capabilities and given the Russians openly admit that it is one of their rockets screwing up I'm inclined to think that the issue is pretty much settled.

Again a completely over simplistic simulation which does not take into account the atmospheric effects and the scale and the symmetry of the event.

If you take the event as being a missile launch from the white sea then the diameter of the event is 160-180 miles in diameter and the growing black disk consumes the diameter in a few to 10s of seconds meaning the diameter is expanding at 10-25 miles per sec or between 36,000 - 90,000 mph, which would mean the propellant exit velocity will be many many times this according to the simulation.

This is not a missile launch gone wrong being viewed at over 800+ km or 500+ miles away.

I have no explanation for what this is and I am absolutely stumped.

#191289 - 12/19/09 12:45 AM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Looks like the vortex that consumed the USS Nimitz in the movie The Final Countdown.

Has anyone counted the aircraft carriers lately?

#191300 - 12/19/09 03:49 AM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: unimogbert]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
from what I gather (and saw a snapshot of one of the other failures of the same booster), the thrust (either one of the vernier engines or some other reason) gets asymetrical, and the rocket actually starts to sprial, and of course, the vernier on the other side does try to compensate - so you have 2-3 engines seperated by a few feet going around in a sprial (from the small snapshot I saw, it looked like it went inside - OUT, and then was destroyed - if they were late on the range safety package, or there was none, I can see this happening
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#191303 - 12/19/09 08:58 AM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I was living 500km from the Russian missile testing facility in Kazakstan (Semipalatinsk). I didn't saw anything exactly like that, but what I saw was not less spectacular, or less unexplainable. At times the entire sky was involved in the show. And they did trigger an UFO rumors many times, especially in the reckless silence of the official Soviet mass media.

Edited by Alex (12/19/09 09:02 AM)

#191305 - 12/19/09 12:03 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Alex]
fasteer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: away
Alex, what a coincidence - I spent about 6 years at the Kumkol oilfield in Kazakstan, about 200 km NE of Baikonur, where the Russians launch to space. I saw several launches. Daylight launches we could just see a vapour trail. Night launch is more visual but still nothing like the photo above...

somehow, that photo reminds me of aurora borealis, although I've never seen anything so symetrical before.

I have seen mirages many times in the desert, so I know that light & distance can do strange things.

#191324 - 12/19/09 07:07 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: fasteer]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Perhaps it was in the recent time, when Baikonur became just a commercial launch pad? (no new technology tests prone to failure). By the way, I saw hundreds of launches, only a handful of them went wrong in a spectacular way.

#191339 - 12/19/09 11:40 PM Re: Any Ideas what this could be? [Re: Alex]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Well, I am still going with a rocket theory. Why? Because I doubt the Soviet Union has created some time-space continuum machine, I doubt we shot anything down with a laser, and I reject all alien life form visitation theories, as those are, in my opinion, ludicrous. So, the obvious answer still stands-rocket launch gone wrong. Isnt that called Okhams Razor?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.